Monday, 14 August 2017

Weekends

 Lambing has begun, we have a set of twins so far who are doing extremely well. They have plenty of pine trees to shelter under to keep out of the heavy rain we have been having ALL winter. - I'm so ready for spring!

I love lambing time and watching the lambs little tails wag while they feed, then comes the fun stage of frolicking lambs when they play. No doubt this week will bring them some new lambs to play with.

 It is our first time since we have lived here that we are having to get in feed for the sheep due to the wet winter we have. The top paddock is closed off as just a mud paddock.

We have never had this much water in our paddocks - The middle paddock has  two ponds caused by the rain, and are nearly meeting. The wet ground is dealing to the animals hooves too. We hate seeing them with sore feet.

 The girls are not too sure of their new tucker... but we also do not want them to eat too much until after they have birthed. Very thankful our wood shed is topped full of hay - being all ready for when the lambs arrive and when the mums will need the extra feed


.

 A job that has been on the must do list for a while was completed this weekend. A gate and fence just off the cattery. This is probably going to be our new area where we feed the sheep.


Louie was a great help checking the hole depth for the fence posts.


As for me, I stayed inside nice and warm and dry. I finally got around to making some alphabet templates. It's been 6 months into my gap year and I'm feeling well rested and ready for creating...Adrenal fatigue  has not been fun, nor was influenza B!

I've begun unpicking a crochet blanket I started - it seems to be a bit of a stop start year...I love the pattern but honestly the thought of sewing in all threads had put me off this project.

I started a baby blanket with the wool... But have unpicked this too as the cast on was far too tight.I was in denial... so did quite a bit of progress before I frogged it.

Much happier with this blanket. Went up to a size seven crochet hook to cast on and casted on a lot looser. (I'm using a size 4.5 for body of blanket). Also changed the colour pattern as I worked out I was going to run out of coloured yarn. So three rows of white and one row of colour. I can pick up more white at local yarn shop.... but it is nearly twice the price to buying local compared to on line. $8.54 on line and $15.00 in local shop.

The blanket is based on Granny Stripes by Lucy at Attic24

Linking up with Pumpkin Sunrise 's Weekends

You can find me hanging out mainly on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/cottagetails/ The photo/video is also posted to Facebook,
To follow the Farm Stay for Cats photos - feel free to join Cottage Tails Farm Stay for Cats Facebook Group.

PS the Cattery will be closed from 23rd August until 28th August.



13 comments:

  1. Love catching up with you... we have had just enough rain this year, and are expecting some this week. Can't wait to see all your lambs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Maybe lambs today. I sure love lambing time of year

      Delete
  2. wow! you've made so many lovely projects (lambs included). As you are going towards spring, I'm facing fall, gleefully of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked my first daffodils yesterday... spring is a coming and I bet your leaves are turning around you.

      Delete
  3. So far we only have the one set of twins.
    It's been av dry cold and wet winter here too. And normally I don't feel it but this year. My bones have
    On the up side. Perfect for being inside with the craft work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got in a ram later this year, and will get one in April next year - just trying to help the ewes miss the bad weather. I'm enjoying the crocheting... and dusting off the machine to quilt. But come sunny days I will be in the garden... can hardly wait

      Delete
  4. oh squeeee....the twins are so cute! louie never knows what he might find in one of those holes! i love that new blanket too! we are about to get some really hot summer weather again. i am so done with summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need a holiday home in New Zealand - just think you could spend 6 months here in the wet and cold and 5 months there in the wet and cold. You'd love it.

      Delete
  5. It has been wet, we are a bit sick of it too. It would be nice if we could get 3 or 4 nice days in a row, then the bad days wouldn't be too horrible. Oh well.

    Glad to see the lambs are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lambs are doing wonderful - maybe when I open the curtains this morning we will have more. It is always such a delight. Rain today again.... Keep dry and warm on the way to and from work

      Delete
  6. So good to see how you are all doing! You have been wet and we have been so dry. Finally got rain yesterday, first time in over 40 days. And we need it for the forest fires. Lovely day today and much cooler than our 90+ temps. Have a great week! Kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my 40 days no rain the poor land. Sending all of ours over to you.

      Delete
  7. you've made so many lovely projects (lambs included). As you are going towards spring, I'm facing fall, gleefully of course!

    พี่มากพระโขนง

    ReplyDelete

I