Tuesday, 11 April 2017

Kahu, No it is a NZ Falcon (see next post for more details)




Abbey calls out, "Mum come quick with camera" and I know to rush and go quiet. She had witnessed the hawk hunting the doves. The Kahu (Maori name for hawk) landed on our barn and waited for the doves to come out of hiding, It was wonderful to watch.

 I enjoy the doves, but would never recommend or get another dovecote in my life. Doves look amazing and romantic flying free. But the reality is their poop gets everywhere. They even make their nests for their babies by building up their own faeces in the cote, which when there is a big enough pile they lay their eggs in it and raise their young. (gross aye).
Cleaning out a dove cote is one of the worst jobs ever.


So knowing what we know re doves we are more than happy to lend mother nature a hand and try and help the hawk by flushing out the doves to help keep the numbers down.
You can see the hawk still on the roof in this photo,
How amazing is it the the hawk seemed to know Brent was trying to help and just sat and watched and waited.... The doves were on to us all and lived for another day....

Oh my goodness... I've just been corrected. I'm so excited. Our visitor is not a hawk Kahu (Swamp Harrier) but a  Karearea (NZ Falcon).
Tomorrow am I will elaborate more...

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I like birds except cleaning out dove poop.

      Delete
  2. Your visitor is very regal & beautiful Leanne. We had two doves come to live here from our neighbours house .... I thought they were so beautiful & yes, romantic in a way. Everyone that came to the Cottage oohed & aahed over them. One day I looked around .... & there were 22 Doves living here & I was spending $53 every time I bought a sack of Dove Mix to feed them. And yes, the poop was everywhere!!! I was so pleased one winter when they relocated somewhere else ... I have no idea where & I am not going to look for them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most visitors love seeing the doves. I do too... just wish they were cleaner birds. We do not feed the doves anymore (stopped quite a few years ago) but they hangout with the sheep and geese, get trampled on and get their tucker that way at feeding time. I hope the Falcon and hawk help keep the numbers down.

      Delete
  3. A bit like pet ducks! the dove droppings do make good fertilizer though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason the dove poop grosses me out and I just chuck it in the bin. Possibly due to cleaning out dovecotes is an awful job. Worst job ever.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful.......glad you got some fabulous photo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled. Still can't believe that I ignored my thoughts... that hawk seems small, and it is staying still for so long. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it could be a falcon as I know how rare they are. ..... sure would love to have a pet one. Hope it comes back to visit.

      Delete
  5. I adore birds!! Enjoyed your post so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm pleased to have learnt something new. Never in my wildest dreams did I think a Falcon would visit here.

      Delete

I