Thursday, 29 September 2016

A week we hope we don't have to go through again.

James crashed Friday night crook as dog and was way worse Saturday. carted him off to the medical centre and full emergency mode happened. They poached an ambulance booked for some joker with a broken foot... Straight into Wellington emergency ward with suspected meningitis with sirens and flashing lights. Face masks, gloves and all the contagious drama. 
I was to follow the ambulance via car and as James had perked another man's ambulance I was asked if I could drive the man into hospital. Thankfully a back up ambulance arrived and took the other man. The ambulance driver told me they may stop if they need to attend to James so just keep driving. I decided not to follow the ambulance but took off straight away for the hour drive to hospital. Normally I am a bit of a granny driver and potter but I arrived just in time to see James come into A & E. It was quite a shock he was way worse.
He got filled up with antibiotics on the way in and when he got there he was pretty much out of reality...They said do you know where you are and he barely whispered "I'm @ the zoo"
I am one who copes always do, always have. But when the Dr said to James that they seriously suspected meningitis and told him it was a life threatening illness I was like What! Get outta here. Then to hear the Dr get the contagious illness department to be on standby (James had been working at the Wellington Zoo and I suppose they were in alert mode). I thought Brent better get into the hospital fast too, this all started to sound a tad more serious. 
I stayed amazingly calm and just in pilot mode. I texted a few friends and man I am greatful I have so many friends of all different faiths we had so many prayer warriors, healers and light workers working their magic.
The hospital staff were amazing it was full go, a spinal tap to drain off some test fluid, a CT scan, chest xrays and several blood tests and swabs. We got the news around 10.30pm that it was most likely not meningitis but some real nasty viral infection. 
G I V I N G   T H A N K S
I stayed the night in a chair next to James' bed even tho he is 20 his mum was not leaving him there alone. We came home Sunday and boom down I came with it. Then Abbey and now Brent. James is slowly getting better. Brent, James and the dogs have the fire on and watching Clint Eastwood movies. I got to read Susan Branch's latest book while getting better. A lovely read.

Such a nasty virus. My naturopathy learning has been put to the test and soo greatful I have my own medical homeopathy kit, herbs, tissue salts and vitamins. We are all coming along well. It went to my chest and today is the first day out of bed, but thankfully I've been able to medicate myself and kept the chest infection at bay. It's 4 years since I've had to have antibiotics or steroids for asthma so I am thrilled. I have actually been off my asthma meds due to practising naturopathy on myself but back on them at the moment and I am totally fine with it.

 Louie the doberman missed his dog obedience training graduation due to us being sick. The instructor rang and told us he passed on reputation alone and didn't have to sit the test. Hows that!
Louie has been amazing for such a high driven puppy to not of been walked all week, He has just hung out in the lounge and behaved. I think he is going to be as good as our female dobie Briar was and that is a pretty tall order to match Briar.

Farm Stay Guests...
 Pi having quite a big conversation with me
 Portia having a good old rub down
Bruno - what a dude - those eyes look deep into the soul don't they.

Brent has been busy looking after the farm animals, a lamb has been born which I haven't seen yet and also looking after the cattery. We had friends offer but we managed and I'm back on deck today. But I will make sure I have a better back up plan and train up one of my friends in case we are all sick again at the same time


  1. So glad this story has a happy ending.Best wishes to you all,Judy x

  2. Glad to hear that James is much better and you are on the mend as well. I have had a bug for about 3 weeks and it sure is a doozy. I worked Friday and Sunday nights, so just missed you guys!!

    Julie Q

    1. I was scared it was you they had to call out from home to read the tests.

  3. wow...that is some scary stuff. i'm so glad you are all doing better.

  4. So glad that you are all on the mend. There has been a very nasty bug going around my husband got it and ended up with bronchial pneumonia. He is still not well so now they have ordered him to have chest xrays. Take care.

    1. it is a doozie of a virus that is for sure

  5. my goodness what a stressful event!!! I am glad he getting better and that they were so thorough in their testing and exams.

    1. totally thorough we are lucky to live in a country where it is all free too. Our taxes are a bit higher but in a real emergency no expense seemed to be spared

  6. Oh my! How scary, and I am glad you are all doing better. :) Kit