Monday, 28 March 2016

Autumn walnuts




 The walnuts are dropping and it looks like it is going to be a bumper crop. One aspect of the naturopathy study I keep going on huge rabbit trails and detective work is using food and herbs over supplements. Supplements have their place. But the more I learn about them and dig deep into what brands are better, what brands use synthetics over natural sources, the fillers that are added to the supplements all so the manufacturing of them can be done cheaper and quicker instead of cleaning the machines in between batches. The more I am becoming a supplement snob and prefer to not prescribe any synthetic brand loaded with fillers for my clients. I prefer clients spend their money on choosing food instead of reaching for synthetic supplements and often prescribe types of food and herbs to increase or add to their diet.

Walnuts are high in antioxidants, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese and phosphates, a good source of B vitamins and E vitamins.

I hope you can find a walnut tree to go and gather some nuts, or better yet plan to plant a walnut tree. The Edible Garden catalogue usually comes out in April so maybe sign up for her email list so you can be notified when it is released.


FarmStay Guests..


Pinot was not impressed with me, we had played fishing with his toy mouse (he comes with some cool toys to stay), and tried to get a good photo for his family but he just wanted his mince.


Evie got right into her chin rub which I must say is quite skillful tickling her chin and getting a photo at the sametime.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to pick your own! Walnuts have become a favourite of mine over recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love walnuts! I keep forgetting you're heading into Autumn. :) Evie is just lovely. I love black and white cats. Kit

    ReplyDelete

I