Friday, 22 January 2016

whoops


 My goal this year is to crochet a hexagon blanket - with the goal being I will make myself sit for 20 minutes a day and complete a hexi. It's my form of meditation. I find crafting slows my breath and is a wonderful stress relief. (I also find gardening does this for me). Making Hexi's means I can sit outside in the sunshine and also get my dose of vitamin D in the summer months.

My Christmas gift was really beautiful yarn to make a pretty blanket and a lovely birch wood hook.
I was quite confident I could remember how to crochet - my grandma taught me when I was about 12 years old. But wooo there is now UK and USA terms that got me totally confused.

A friend popped over and got me organised yesterday - I've even lost the knack of getting tension right (or maybe I never had it?). Anyway she got me off and away until my new hook just snapped. That caused a bit of laughter between us girls. How wonderful that the hook comes with a 5 year warranty. I've sent off my information and a nice new hook will be posted to me. Excellent service and guarantee.

I've completed my first Hexi for 2016 - it is only a test one. Now I'm trying to find a 3.25mm hook - the local shops tell me they do not stock that size in New Zealand......

 This week I'm listening on audio The Downstairs Maid - its an easy listen - very Downton Abbeyish.
After days of study I need an easy listen nothing to make my brain work more than it needs to.

Farm Stay Guests

 Molly and Bella walking their strut. They look like the are practising doing runway walks. They go home this weekend I'm not ready for them to go,,


Milo doing his pirate impersonation. He is being rather naughty and keeps picking rumbles with his brothers. Charles needs to just deal to him and put him in his place,

Sorry no other photos, I got interrupted in the photo sessions and forgot to take more later in the day.

10 comments:

  1. So glad that hook has a warranty. What a pretty hook it is! Every once in a while I toy with the idea of making a hexi-ghan. I like your idea of 20 minutes at a time. What an easy, small thing to carry outside and crochet up. Of course, it's 20 degrees outside today. But you've got my wheels turning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep very portable. I really enjoyed making my fabric hexi quilt by hand a few years ago. Didn't feel I need another and I love hexagons - hence having a go at crochet. Do tell if you join in

      Delete
  2. i wish i could remember how to crochet! we are in for a big storm! i sure hope it doesn't miss us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when we had our whopper summer storm this week you would of loved it.

      Delete
  3. Wow you have a very firm grip, lol maybe a little relaxation meditation before you start. The hexi you have made looks great xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girlfriend gave me heaps. We were laughing so hard! Brent said it looks like a flaw so I feel better. Fab that they stick by the product aye. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  4. Hello Leanne,

    Good luck with your hexie blanket, I tried a wooden crochet hook once and it broke, got my money back. I prefer my old steel ones. How big is your blanket going to be?

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bev I have no idea - until I get sick of making them? Not too big as I hope it will be a lap blanket for my new lounge curtains. I have the fabric but not doing up the villa until I finish my studies.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful crochet hexie. I will have look through my Mum's hooks which I inherited recently and if I have one of the size you require, it's all yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! The local shop said NZ does not have 3.25. But Holland Road Yarn shop in Wellington does so in I plan to go tomorrow. So I can start. (before I forget what my friend taught me). PS I'm off on a quilt retreat sooooo looking forward to it.

      Delete

I