Thursday, 4 June 2015

Yarn Along


As winter is knocking on our door, I want something mindless, quick and easy to keep my hands busy. As some of my friends children are having babies it is baby knitting projects for this winter.

Twenty plus years ago when I had babies I liked newborns and wee babies just in white, but I'm told that is old fashioned just as some of my patterns I used are. I remember some older ladies gifting me their hand knitted items and thinking they were a tad dated. I've tried to remember that and have asked some of the younger generation what they like, and chosen more current patterns and colours with their help.

You can see them in my Raverly Que - I'm slowly learning Raverly which is rather awesome.

If you have been reading the blog for awhile you will know how much I detest shopping. But online shopping I am getting quite good at. A stash of baby wool arrived from Deramores. There was no hassle in choosing the colours etc and everything I wanted was brought with a push of the button. It ended up being way cheaper than buying it in New Zealand. It must be hard for local shops to compete with online shops. Times are a changing....



 I have a finish ... well it still has a few loose threads to be sewn in and for it to be blocked.
Milo was super fun and quick and a great way to learn knitting in the round. If I had a toddler I'd be knitting these up - so awesome to add an extra layer to keep the kidneys and chest warm.



I've casted on a Debbie Bliss baby cardigan in lilacs for a 9-12 month old. The pattern is from The Ultimate book of Baby Knits.  


 It is meant to have the first row in the pale colour - but being a practical mother I know how grubby the bands can get with crawling and learning to eat... so I've skipped this feature. Plus I've changed the pattern to knit as one piece up to the arm holes so there will be no side seams and the stripes will match perfect.
So far it is a pleasurable, mindless knit with the swapping of colours every second row.


The Girl Who Came Home was an easy listen - predictable but I'm really only able to listen to easy books after a day full of study. I need mind numbing books, not ones to get me thinking too hard.


I struggled with Mr. Churchill's Secretary - it just didn't seem to be going anywhere. Due to my frustration I looked at friends reviews on Good Reads and put it aside, which was a shame as I really had wanted to like it.



It really is hard to choose an audible book which is available from the library - I chose this one purely due to the lover's knot quilt on the cover. The  Good Reads review rating is 4.25.....
I've only just started it, but so far it has my interest.


Last night was a cloudy night so rather hard to see and photograph the  Full Moon. But she was there,

Linking up to Yarn Along...

12 comments:

  1. Lovely little Milo's. I am sure they will be well loved. I have also just finished a couple for babies in our family due later in the year and one for my nephew who is 4. Its a great pattern, so quick and easy. I think a lot of people would still love white knits for babies. I know one of my girls loves anything vintage and has her orders in for some "old fashioned" baby knits. :-) I will think about it if she ever breaks the news that a baby is coming. Not holding my breath at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Milo fun to make. How wonderful that some still love white for babies.

      Delete
  2. wonderful knitting. i wish i could do it. i think i have ADD or something because i am awful at following directions.it was too cloudy to see the moon here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been one to be put in a box... and always go against the norm. When I was a bank manager before kids one of the big bosses took me aside and said my 1938 Morris 8 I used to drive was not really the look of a bank manager and suggested I get a new car. My reply was is the bank buying me a new car? Lots of my clients loved my little car (which I still have).. and then of course once we had kids I had to go an homeschool them...and now doctors have said they can do nothing... I've gone off to study to be a naturopath to prove them wrong and get help.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your comment. I love little knitting but hate sewing up. I like wool ( yarn ) to be very soft and cuddly and some aren't. I'm trying lots of different brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie Bliss is very soft and snuggly - Merino wool with Cashmere but has 33% acrylic which is good for mums who don't hand wash. My babies had only 100% wool.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love your new yarn from Deramores (one of my favorite online yarn shops). The sweater is absolutely beautiful with the two colors. I'm sure it will be a hit with the new baby. I just finished a baby blanket (in white) although I wanted to make it a bit more colorful, the style today have changed a bit. My best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Deramores a fab website easy to use and great service - how can local shops compete?

      Delete
  5. beautiful baby knits!! I think I was a pink for girls and blue for boys thinker and if the sex was not known then you were left with white yellow and green. Boy that is definitely not the case anymore, which makes knitting easier for babies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were watching family videos the other day a friend had sent me and our daughter was horrified that at over 1 year old she was only dressed in pink.

      Delete
  6. I loved the vintage cardi's my mum knit for my boys. Having said that I have seen lots of Milo's and they all look gorgeous. Yours are no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I am ever blessed with grand babies white is what I'd knit for them.... Milo is soo cute aye I can see why it is popular

    ReplyDelete

I