Wednesday, 3 June 2015

My Secret....





Adult colouring books have become quite a new craze. They are a way to bring PLAY back into our lives and also help one be centered and  in the moment helping adults to slow down.

 Just 5 minutes of slowing your breathing down and colouring in can achieve a huge amount of relaxation.

As adults we often forget how to play and play can actually open up the creative right side of our brain.

Johanna Basford has sold over 1 million copies of her Secret Garden. Following is a video of her work



Lunar Botanica - Pencil to Print from Johanna Basford on Vimeo.


Wendy Hollander a botanical artist uses Faber-Castell Polychromos Colouring Pencils and they are the ones I have chosen to PLAY with . Oh if only owning the beautiful set of colouring in pens enabled one to be an artist.




“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.” - Roald Dahl

10 comments:

  1. i could color all day! i usually paint or draw for about an hour each day but i have to be careful not to lose myself in it. i can lose time when i do those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that is so awesome. I am trying to SLOW down - I'm working on my adrenals and cortisol levels and slowing down and doing nothing is something I am trying to do. So far I can manage 10 minutes of colouring in and breath work. I'm a work in progress in learning to relax and slow down.

      Delete
  2. I remember as a teen we had the Doodle Art posters to color that were very intricate. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never stopped coloring; I always keep coloring books at my house for my nephews, but sometimes I use them! & it is relaxing (I usually use them around the holidays).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not finding it relaxing.... but then I do not idle well - but trying to learn how.

      Delete
  4. What a coincidence. There was an article in our paper just today about the new wave of adult coloring books and people who do it. And Johanna Bashford was one of the artists mentioned who comes up with the drawings for these coloring books.

    I have always liked to color and find it very soothing. But what to do with the result?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very much the "in" thing. I suppose one just closes the book and buys a new one to colour

      Delete
  5. I have a secret too. I've been doing an art course. Three weeks in and we have drawn and sculpted. I'm having so much fun that I keep forgetting I'm not very artistic at all lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD for you!!! I'd love to learn to draw botanical plants very much so - but my drawing has never turned out the way I have it looking in my brain.

      Delete

I