Friday, 1 May 2015

The Hair Whisperer

Getting my haircut is not one of my favourite things. Being an empath I pick up on peoples emotions and this gets magnified as you can imagine when I'm at the hairdressers, as the hairdresser is in my body space. Hence if the hairdresser is having a bad emotional day I feel it - feel it for an hour,,, 
So I tend to just go to the hairdressers when  I have to.
I also have awful trouble finding a hairdresser who can cut fine curly hair... I've had many disappointing hair cuts over the years. So for me going to the hairdresser is right up there with going to the dentist.

Marlena, the manager of Wellington's Annah Stretton has the most amazing curly hair. I asked her who cuts her hair. Tina from Taboo Hair saloon in Karori. Tina is a curly hair expert.  I booked an appointment with Tina, then chickened out, and cancelled. I desperately needed to get my hair cut so rebooked and I am soo pleased I did! She is now my hairdresser.

  Here are the after photos from Tina taming my curls. 


 My experience getting my hair cut was wonderful. Tina works on her own, so there is no other assistants chattering across one another, the salon had quite playing music, another plus for me.
Tina got me to sit in the chair and she asked me what I wanted and  how my hair sits. Tina got to know my curls then with hair dry  she started cutting. Tina is a hair whisperer, she got into the zone and really connected with my hair. No idle chit chatter that hairdressers often do - but total concentration on my curls. Once she was ready, my locks were  off to the sink for a hair wash and back to the chair for a wet cut. I'm more than thrilled! Plus I learnt I have a patch of hair at the nape of my neck that is just about dead straight. Finally I get why I always have a little bit that is longer at the back. When I left the salon the back was even but by the time the photo was taken my straight bit fell. Fancy it has taken 50 years to learn this. I'm sure Tina will cut this bit a bit shorter next time now we know what this piece of my hair does.

I also really appreciated that Tina was more than ok that I have chosen to go grey naturally, not once did she try and push or suggest that I dye my hair.

If you have been reading the blog for a while you will of worked out I am not a girly girl. 
The kids have been doing a let me check your eyebrow mum moment before I leave the house.
Honest make up is not my strength - less is best in my nature. But with fading eyebrows I've had a go at drawing them on myself... with 50 year old eye sight not as it used to be and trying to draw eyebrows, well I get them crooked. I was brave and asked Tina about colouring my eyebrows (something I have never done in my life). If you look at the before and after photos you will see I now have eyebrows.  While Tina had me in the chair she suggested threading on my eyebrows, again something I have never heard of but it is an ancient Middle Eastern technique for removing facial hair .
Oh my Tina is a ninja at threading she whipped off any loose hairs and shaped my brow, she did my lip which has very fine fair hairs that never ever used to be there. That was a bit hurty hurty. But Tina was super fast and it only took a few moments. 

 Have you had threading done before? Isn't it fascinating what one learns,

10 comments:

  1. Your cut is gorgeous Leanne, and your after photos is beautiful!! I too know the trauma of trying to find a hairdresser who can manage curly hair...mine is still trying to sort itself out after some bad cuts last year! But think I'm onto someone now who understands my locks! I've always wondered what 'threading' is, interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you girlfriend with bad hair cuts for us curly gals! You might just have to book into Tina when you are down our way - she is only a 10 minute drive from Wellington CBD.

      Delete
  2. Threading, a new one, and what a wonderful find, to get your own hairdresser, a quiet place to sit, and the before was lovely, the after is superb. I'm sure Tina enjoyed every minute as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there you go Jean - we both learned about threading, Yes I will be back to Tina - the hour drive to Wellington is well worth it.

      Delete
  3. Oh I can so relate to your post today! I too have wild curly hair, (which I love now I'm older! ) but it's always such an ordeal when I go to the hairdresser! And the 'going grey' is my latest issue! Glad you found someone helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is soo hard to find a hairdresser that understands curly hair aye. I'm pleased I made the choice to let my hair go grey. When I made the choice and stopped colouring my hair (5 years ago) I found http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/ really helpful and inspiring. The worst part I did in autumn/winter so just wore hats out

      Delete
  4. I also pick up on peoples emotions I thought it was their energy. Love the hair I also wont dye my hair and my brother is a hairdresser and he is always on me to dye my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you probably are picking up their energy. I would imagine most hairdressers are pro dye jobs - as it is what they have been trained in and possibly their passion. But there is quite a movement out there happening of woman who choose to go grey naturally and it is growing especially with people who are becoming aware of toxins....(says she who coloured her eyebrows)

      Delete

I