Thursday, 7 May 2015

Organic fruit and vegetable box

Each week it is a bit like Christmas when our organic fruit and vegetable box arrives on the backdoor step. You never know what is going to be in the box, it all depends on what is in season and what the growers have sent to the market. 
We choose 80% vegetables and 20% fruit.
and ask for extra kumera and avocados.

I took the time to take photos for you all to see what we get for $80.50 
(this includes delivery to our door)

We eat more vegetables than fruit so get a smaller amount of fruit which is more than enough for us. I send 3 pieces of fruit a day in the boys lunch box.
This week we got pears, limes, kiwifruit, bananas, apples, nashi pears, avocado, and feijoas.

 Leafy greens, cabbage, broccoli, silverbeet, leeks ( 3 large ones it doesn't really show this in the photo), curly kale, lacinato kale, and iceberg lettuce.


rhubarb (yes it is a vegetable but we tend to stew it for breakfast) cauliflower, bok choy, courgettes and eggplants.

root vegetables - jerusalem artichokes, kumera, pumpkin, parsnips, carrots, brown onions, red onions, potatoes and garlic.

We eat to the seasons and if I had to put a label on what kind of diet we follow it would be Western A Price principals. I cook all our food from scratch, The main meal I cook for 6 adults and the two extra portions I send to work for the boys lunches.

We find it is good value for money and love the fact that it is organic, you can taste the difference! My vegetable garden supplements the boxes - but not much is producing in my garden at the moment a few chillies, lemons, feijoas and rhubarb.

8 comments:

  1. great value, and a wonderful variety. We have feijoas , rhubarb, spinach, silver beet, some carrots, and new seedlings coming up.And the hardy cape gooseberry, a few fruit there in May!!! It need a medal for fruiting out in the open at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having such a war with pesky pukeko's in the garden - they are winning.... grrrrr

      Delete
  2. i just got my csa box today and got pea shoots, lettuce, onions, feta cheese, ramps and maple syrup! i LOVE getting these boxes! i won't buy them for summer because brendan and i like to go out and get our own at all of the markets and farm stands. i got my first strawberries at a farm market today. i can't wait to pick my own. my favorite thing is to eat seasonally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes strawberries from the garden bliss hope you have a good season

      Delete
  3. Looks pretty good value and a good selection. I buy at our local Growers' Market but it does mean an early start which is not so easy in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our markets are not organic sadly, - some are not not many, I long for the day when it can be.

      Delete
  4. All looks lovely and fresh. It makes me laugh when I read all the blogs where people talk about cooking ffrom scratch being difficult or expensive, as it is much cheaper than processed food. Also all the ones that act like they invented cooking. Us kiwi girls have always cooked old school.

    julieq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are soo right Julie. I remember a few outings with the kids years ago - we always took our own snacks and water from home. Other families were buying at the tuck shop. These families all commented they could not afford organic fruit and vegetables - where we could not afford to buy at the tuck shop the drinks and sweets.....

      Delete

I