Monday, 6 April 2015

Easter Weekend

The four days one gets off for Easter have been spent at home in the garden. We have possibly one more feed left of scarlet runner beans for the season. Currently I'm preparing the vegetable garden for broad beans, green manure crops and building up the soil for the garlic crop which I'll plant in a months time after the next Full Moon.

I'm looking forward to duck season when one can ping off the pukeko's. ALL of the seedlings I planted in my white garden were pulled up from pukeko's. It makes planting anything such a challenge. Plus it is why I am holding off planting Spring bulbs until after the next Full Moon as one gets way over the pukeko's pulling up a bulb, taking a bite out of a bulb, throwing it down and repeating this to every single bulb. grrrrrr./ Feel free to bring your guns to hunt the pukekos!

The freezer is full of lamb off our land. The kids friends enjoy turning up for meal times, and one of James' mates has pre warned what night he is coming, and that he has put an order in for a roast.

We eat very simply, off the land as much as possible and to the season.

Sure looking forward to the pumpkins being ready! $12.00 for one crown pumpkin at the shops the other day... rather outrageous. Thank goodness I have a vegetable garden.

A bumper crop of walnuts so far and there is still more on the tree.

8 comments:

  1. pumpkins..sigh...i will have to enjoy yours until ours are ready in 5 more months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had planted more - but with study something had to give and it has been my garden and quilting.... which I have missed.

      Delete
  2. How annoying with those pukekos and your garden. I don't have enough space for pumpkins, but I have certainly never paid that for one.
    Happy Easter and enjoy those roasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pesky pukekos get me hopping mad! I'm not allowed to use my gun (which I got for Christmas a few years ago) due to my temper.... I'm listening on audio to a book called An Amish Miracle and one of the ladies grabbed her gun in a temper and accidentally shot the neighbours dog. I totally could relate! I DID pay that for the pumpkin - when one eats to the seasons and see new season food in the shops I always can't help myself as just hang out for the change in food. Come end of winter we will be over pumpkins - as we are over tomatoes..

      Delete
  3. So glad we don't have Pukeko's in the middle of Feilding!!!!! I have planted our winter garden, first year really. I am battling the white butterfly grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Got most of the bulbs in, but have more that I was given for my birthday.
    How much room do you need to grow pumpkins? May be a plan for next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra. Pumpkins do need room as they spread.They also need feeding. I've had the best success with growing them around compost piles. Congratulations on getting your winter garden in - pesky white butterfly... get out there and pick off the eggs. You will only have to do this a few weeks then it will be too cold for the butterflies.

      Delete
  4. happy easter!! We had a great time and now I'm catching up with blog friends, I hope your pumpkins are ready soon too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hanging out for pumpkin eating such a comfort food. Will be harvesting soon.

      Delete

I