Monday, 13 April 2015

A weekend in the garden

 I did have plans to quilt... but the garden called me - this is what happens when one has soo many interests. The Broadbeans are in. Heritage seeds are my one weakness, These were brought over to New Zealand from Scotland in 1863 by George Watts who emigrated  to Waimate. You can get some of the seeds from the Jack Watts collection at Koanga. 

The winter bed is already, just waiting till after the new moon to get my leafy vegetables in (kale, spinach, broccoli, silver beet etc)

 It is a super feeling knowing you are ahead. This bed of strawberries is a year old, So all I had to do was give them a drink of worm wee tea and tuck them up with pine needles and pea straw for the winter.

 Oh my I got a tad carried away on Trade Me and brought 100 daffodils (I'm bidding on another 100 it is ever so thrilling when you win)

 I won 50 yellow tulips.


Some white frilled tulips
 Some Renga Renga lily


50 Bluebell bulbs

And I hope to win these freesias. They are the real old fashion ones with a hefty scent.

Can you tell I am looking forward to Spring already?





10 comments:

  1. Wow - great planning for spring, Leanne!! Yes, those last minute bids on trademe are very exciting and exhausting! YOur strawberry bed looks very comfortable all tucked in for winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes unless out bidded! I put in my price and let auto bid run the course....

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Looking forward to spring... It is freezing here had both fires on - you would love it.

      Delete
  3. A hive of activity. Your daffodils will look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! and I brought more so 200 daffodils will be arriving in the mail this week Such fun!

      Delete
  4. loved seeing your bits of spring even though you are facing fall :) We are just seeing our daffodils sprout up around here and I'm so excited to welcome a new season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing the ground wake up in spring. Our place should look very pretty. Enjoy the spring flowers!

      Delete
  5. Oh I must get my freesias in, hopefully they didn't dry out too much over summer. Good luck on those daffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep get those spring bulbs in before the new moon, that is if you are into gardening by the moon.

      Delete

I