Sunday, 22 March 2015

Welcome Autumn

 Autumn is officially here now in the Southern Hemisphere now that the Autumn Equinox has arrived. We celebrated Mabon with a mushroom soup based on a recipe from My New Roots. Sarah's tip of using white beans in a soup pureed gives the soup a creamy texture without dairy.

Ingredients
Mushrooms about 500grams wipe with a paper towel and chop
Minced garlic cloves we like garlic so always rather generous 8 cloves - just adjust to taste
2 brown onions peeled and diced.
2 cups of dried cannelini beans
1 liter of homemade chicken stock.
Juice of one lemon
Handful of thyme from the garden
salt n pepper
olive oil.

Method.
Soak the cannelini beans overnight in 6 cups of water.  Next day drain beans, rinse and cover in water and simmer for about 1-2 hours until soft.
Defrost homemade chicken stock -( I just take out of freezer the night before and pop in fridge).
Saute onions and mushrooms in a little ghee or coconut oil in a large soup pot
Add garlic
Add cooked beans, chicken stock and extra water if needed
Add juice of one lemon
Add salt n pepper to taste
Add some fresh thyme (try not to get stems in)
Simmer until heated through and mushrooms are well cooked.
Using a wand whizz up soup until constancy you like.

Serve in soup bowls garnished with a swirl of olive oil, fresh thyme, salt n pepper to taste.

Very yum autumnal hearty soup.

The cabbage trees have been dropping their leaves. I think I share every autumn the task I enjoy doing. Picking up the leaves and making faggot bundles. These are wonderful to start a fire with - way better than kindling! Pop a couple of pine cones in the fire and one gets some nice embers going. Now that I've collected all our cabbage tree leaves. I start gathering spare ones on my morning walk in a bag and come home to tie them into bundles.

It is nice to know I'm not the only gatherer on walks, a lady we bump into gathers puha for her chickens and walks along also with a couple of gathering bags.
Mittens and hats on the morning walks will be needed soon one can feel the change in temperature,

Are you foragers and gatherers too on your daily walks?

5 comments:

  1. Our cabbage tree leaves are falling too, collected, but the tying into a curly bundle, not so easy. I must find a better and easier way. Two frosts this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love mushroom soup. it is one of my most favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Leanne, that soup sound scrummy! I too gather pinecones when I am out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn! And here I am wandering into Spring. I love to look for little objects especially fallen birdnests. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for autumn!! We have spring here and I'm ready to say goodbye to winter.

    ReplyDelete

I