The Ghost house has many stories behind it some believe it is a haunted house by a woman who was killed in it many years earlier. It is also believed that the house is built on the remains of an old Maori village.
Like many old homes this house has most possibly had deaths occur in it. It was originally built in 1925 for Doctor Forrest in Palmerston North. The house was owned by two more doctors and was used as a surgery and the doctors home.
The Ghost House.Looking like something from an Alfred Hitchcock movie, this old mansion has been presiding from its prime hilltop position over the Ahiaruhe district, east of Carterton, for over 20 years. Known locally as the "ghost house", it has been the haunt of tenagers and curious sightseers, many who have taken their own souvenirs, deroding the grand old house of its former opulence.
Owner and local farmer Robby Steverson moved the house from Palmerston North in the mid 1980s. He and his partner brought it to the Wairarapa in four pieces, planning to turn it into the family home on the Ahiaruhi farm. The relationship broke down and Robby was left with his farm and children to raise. Farming in the 80s was a tough time for farmers, there wasn't much spare money around so Robby had to forget the house.
Despite the poor state the house is in now, it has hardly been forgotten. It has become a local landmark and has appeared in several calendars. There is even an oil painting of it on display in the Featherston gallery.
Robby considered pulling it down but now thinks that it would be just as nice to let nature take its course.