Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Reinventing



Reinventing oneself in middle age is scary but also thrilling!

If you have been following the blog you will know I've been a stay at home - homeschooling mum for over 22 years. I never ever dreamed I would be a stay at home mum let alone a homeschooling mum. Before children I was a Bank Manager with a great career path, but life had different plans....

At age 46 I started to think of what did I want to do with the rest of my life. As a young girl I always wanted to be a teacher - that dream got squashed when my form teacher, who was also my English teacher and Dean  told me I would not be a good teacher. She said I needed to find a more realistic career as she would not recommend me on my application.

So I left school and left home at 16 years old.


At 46 I went along to a local school and trained to be a teacher aide - just so I could be in a classroom and see if I wanted to really be a teacher. NO WAY! boy do teachers work hard and have to follow a curriculum that is more about testing than actually learning.

After my Reiki II attunement I just knew it was holistic health where I wanted to explore. I knew I could do some academic papers after doing the teacher aide course (a level 4 course).

I dipped my toes into a a certificate in Bach remedies  and finally I chose Diploma in Naturopathy. I've loved the study and keep pinching myself that next month I will be enrolling for my third and final year.

However being a stay at home mum I knew I had got rusty in many areas of the business world, especially public speaking, I went searching for help to brush up on public speaking. I stumbled upon Speaking Circles. Speaking Circles is all about encouraging your own authentic self without a scripted performance. In a speaking circle you are encouraged to get up in front of the group and speak without any preparation of what you are to speak about for seven minutes. LIKE way out of my comfort zone! We are taught to have Relational Presence and Relational Stillness which is all about breathing and eye contact - great stuff!



Yesterday was my first public speaking experience in many many years. I had been asked by the local herb society to speak on flower remedies for 30 minutes. I did it! I faced my fear and got up there in front of about 30 people and spoke authentically. Can you imagine how scary that was after being a stay at home mum for 22 years?

I did it and did a good job! My Speaking Circle instructor had told me I was a natural story teller so that is the focus I took with my talk. I told stories on how people can use flower remedies. My stories made the audience laugh which I always think laughter is wonderfully fun.

Afterwards, I had people come up to me wanting to learn more, wanting a business card, wanting a website.


I'm now very seriously looking at finding a graphic designer and web designer who can develop a business website for me. Honestly this a whole new world reinventing oneself, and it is becoming a fantastic journey - one I highly recommend to everyone.


If you know of anyone who is a graphic designer or web designer - possibly studying and needing a test client please let them know I am ready to branch out to having  a business presence on the net.




10 comments:

  1. way to go! good for you! i am so proud. i sort of wish i had the fear of public speaking. i am always looking for a podium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I did it - but I sure am not looking for a podium giggle.. I can sneak away and hide until my study is over xxx

      Delete
  2. Leanne, what a wonderful & encouraging story. Good for you! I too have been part of speaking circles and love the way they encourage authentic presence. It's fantastic to see you following your passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am really taken with the authentic presence - I will continue going to the local speaking circle this year.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow. That's neat. 30 mins I can't imagine speaking for that long . go you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to 20 minutes and thought oh Shi** and asked any questions phew I got lots xxx

      Delete
  4. you are wonderful and I love reinvention of ourselves. What an experience!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is scary reinventing oneself but soo looking forward to the next chapter of life,

      Delete
  5. Wonderful story Leanne and good on you for not being afraid to get out there and turn corners and make decisions. Joining Speaking Circles sounds like a great idea, wishing you more happiness in your adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you were awesome, Leanne! Good on you! My niece Angela does web design and she's pretty good at it, with a natural creative flair. If you ask her, she can send you some websites that she has done, so you can see her style. I think she does hosting as well. http://intelligentink.co.nz/about/ - Her profile is at the bottom of this page.

    ReplyDelete

I