Saturday, 10 January 2015

Into the Woods

NB this may contain spoilers for you.


We went and saw the movie Into the Woods last night. Before we left I had a peek on Imdb and noted a lot of comments were negative so went with an open mind. Our family rated it 2/5. It was terribly long. The first half was ok but then it just dragged and I can't see how a child would sit through it - both Brent and I nodded off and had to elbow each other. When the movie ended the atmosphere in the theatre was rather flat.
James was like really? He rated it negative 3.
Tut tut Disney for bringing in infidelity into a movie. How dare the prince and bakers wife make out. As a mum, I do wonder how I would  explain some of the plot to young children. It is a PG so parental guidance is needed for young children who love Princes. I did crack up with one quote.

"I was raised to be charming, not sincere".
- Cinderella's Prince.




Johnny Depp was my favourite and I just loved his little howl.
For me it was worth going to the movie just to see Johnny.


It was also worth going to see Meryl as a witch. She  said 'I’ve been offered many witches over the years, starting when I was 40, and I said no to all of them,' 
'But this was really fun because it played with the notion of what witches mean. They represented age and ugliness and scary powers we don’t understand. So here’s my opportunity to say, here’s what you wish for when you’re getting old.'  

Talking witches - Joyce from October Farm who has the most amazing witch collection ever sent me a piece from her collection. An antique, rare, broom holder. A piece I truly treasure.




She is holding my broom proudly by my front door.

 I'll admit I am waiting for one of the bible bashers to knock on our door to try and convert me. As I' always just wanna burst into Bette Midler.



The kids keep me away from the poor boys in white shirts and ties on bicycles that happen to knock on my door with an ulterior motion to share their faith with me.
 It's not that I mind their faith.
 I just mind them knocking on my door. just as I am sure they would mind if I knocked on their door with my besom.



Part of Joyce's witch collection is the book of shadows



 from one of my favourite movies,
 Practical Magic


and Sally's umbrella.  Click here to see more about Joyce's collection.

I must admit it feels strange to have my broom standing with bristles down.
It is usually best to stand a broom with bristles up for good luck.


But it looks rather perfect don't you think? And should bring a smile to many visitors faces I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. your house is now complete! it was meant to have that broom holder. i cast a spell on it before i shipped it to bring good luck to you! so it won't matter which way the broom hangs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. smile PHEW xxxx I love superstition and folklore ditties

      Delete

I