Sunday, 25 January 2015

Farmers Market

 We don't have a true Farmers Market where the growers only sell what they grow - nor can I find organic suppliers. But we have some fruit and vegetable stalls that have amazing prices and products.
My fruit and vege came to $55.00 which included a box of cherries, watermelon and apricots. Oh how I do love eating to the seasons.
 There is a local fishmonger that has a stall - Waikanae Crabs. Oh my the flounder was delish. So fresh! I will be returning weekly just for their fish. I baked the flounder in the oven for about 20 minutes with lemon juice and fresh coriander leaves.

Served it with a fresh green salad, nasturtium leaves and flowers and Cauliflower Tabbouleh based on the recipe from My Petite Kitchen Cookbook..I'm one of those cooks who never follows recipes.

Cauliflower Tabbouleh
1/2 raw cauliflower florets chopped up finely
Herbs - handful of each fresh from garden parsley, coriander and mint. Remove the stalks and chop fine
Garlic - now we like garlic so adapt to your taste - 4 large cloves minced fine
Handful of sundried tomatoes chopped fine
juice of one lemon
enough olive oil to taste I don't measure just chuck it in.
Salt n pepper - ( I use himalayan salt) 
The salad needs to sit and let some acid cooking happen from the lemon, so prepare the salad first.

The Nobel Estate Olive oil has a nice peppery taste perfect for salads

I've been getting my honey and olive oil from the Waikanae market, but the veges and oh my the fish is from Waikanae Crabs which are at the Paraparaumu Beach  Market.  


I knew I had a photo of me with my flounder I caught I was and still am  mighty proud of that catch. It still is my only one I've ever caught. Look at those legs... they are still that skinny too as I'm an apple on sticks which I've learned in my naturopathy study is known as a Driver Endocrine body type.
The people who are doing the Lunar Phase Cleanse will all get their endocrine body type in the waxing moon phase. which is when they come out of the detox.
It's the last day of my at home holiday today - back to normal with farm stay guests and study. I'm learning about iridology at the moment in my naturopathy studies and man it is a new language to learn. I've been getting the sodium ring mixed up with the skin ring and the smeared and coloured lymph rosaries. I can't help myself really look into peoples eyes when I speak to them and think to myself are you a silk linen, linen, hessian or net type. 

12 comments:

  1. great market goodies, and when I see a new person, I wonder what personality they are,( and this so often shows when they walk, and when they talk.)) after reading Alison Mooney's book, " Pressing the Right Buttons" a book for everyone. And those legs, wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if one is quite and watches one can pick personalities. I especially pick up on if a person is an air, fire, water or earth type.

      Delete
  2. Hi Leanne I am fascinated with the studying of iridology have been to see one once and he told me that I had a problem in my tummy. The funny thing about it was I was pregnant and didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving learning iridology. My study states iridology can not reveal pregnancy but it can show digestive issues such as poor absorption, maybe that is what he saw.

      Delete
  3. i love flounder. it is my favorite fish! look at those legs! i have long skinny legs too. i do love eating seasonally. i wish i had discovered it sooner. we are expecting a snow storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been eating to the seasons for many years - I love it as each season brings food to look forward to - and totally over. I love fresh beans from the garden but by the end of summer we are all sick of them, and come next year we look foward to them again. They taste so much nicer fresh off the vine than frozen. Enjoy your snow

      Delete
  4. Great goodies from the market and that flounder looks so fresh - delicious.

    Among other goodies I bought 10 sweetcorn at our Growers Market yesterday and we blanched them and removed the corn from the cobs before freezing them in small parcels.

    I do love to eat seasonally but some sweetcorn in the middle of winter with so many uses is a must have in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to only eat sweetcorn in summer - I prefer to buy organic sweetcorn and love it when it is in our vege box. I wish we had organic growers at our market.

      Delete
  5. Leanne, your tabbouleh reminded me of my daughter's cauliflower fried rice...she uses cauliflower instead of rice and it's very tasty. I think I will pass on your recipe for the tabbouleh, I think she will be very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your daughters cauliflower rice sounds delish. I've found out brown rice doesn't agree with me.

      Delete
  6. What a bountiful season is. I too love buying locally and have come home from the bach with a bag full of courgettes, beans, tomatoes etc. It's good to see the tabouleh recipe because I ignored it at first because I can't eat tabouleh, it being a wheat grain. But there's no grain at all in this dish, which makes me wonder why she calls it tabouleh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure either all I can think is it is like tabouleh - now should that have two b's or one - I'm a bit like Winnie the Pooh with spelling “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.”. There are not many recipes in the book that our family can eat - she uses a lot of nuts and eggs so I won't be buying it. But the photos are very stunning she has done a lovely job of her book. I will try her sunflower and herb crackers this week.. But again I will adapt it as will sprout the sunflowers. You would be able to eat them too me thinks.

      Delete

I