Thursday, 13 November 2014

Normal

Day 12 of  a photo a day project.

NORMAL... it is normal for us to eat weeds. Well actually dandelions (Taraxacum officinale) are herbs and young spring leaves give a bitter flavour. Bitter foods are awesome for the digestion system.

Other herbs I pick to add to salads are: mint, parsley, borage flowers which have a cucumber taste, calendula flowers, nasturtium flowers which have a sweetness and nasturtium leaves have a peppery zing.

 A whatever colourful cabbage salad.


I often cook with whatever come in my organic vegetable box or is growing in the garden, so use whatever you have too. Yesterday this was in our salad.
red cabbage finely shredded
1 tomato finely diced
2 green onions using white and green part finely chopped
cucumber finely diced
celery finely diced
red capsicum finely diced
New spring dandelion leaves finely chopped.
herbs and edible flowers from the garden

Lemony Mint Salad Dressing


Cloves of garlic - we like garlic so are usually prettyheavy handed - use how much you want. I'm now using the small garlic left from last year so I used about 2 of these small bulbs.
Juice of 1 lemon (sometimes I add the rind too if organic)
about 1/4 cup good olive oil
small handful of mint leaves chopped really fine.


Place in a jar and whisk up with a fork. Dressing is ready for each person to pour over their salad.

Lunch yesterday, colourful salad, left over chicken from night before and half an avocado.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmm I must come to your cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks wonderful but your Whatever Cabbage Salad makes my mouth water! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great looking salad. I am now very hungry...LOL Kit

    ReplyDelete

I