Friday, 31 October 2014

Spring Tea


A memory booster tea.


Lemon Balm Melissa officinalis being a perennial herb has once again sprung back to life now that we are in spring. It is a really easy herb to grow and it seems to spread. I find it self sowen in the geese yard where it thrives - possibly due to the manure they leave about.

The leaves are slightly rough and hairy to touch and give off a lemon scent when you rub the leaves together





 Pineapple sage  Salvia elegans - I thought mine had died but nope it is coming away again, The leaves and flowers have a sweet pineapple flavour and I pop them in fresh fruit salads. Bees love the flowers too.

Both of these herbs are perfect to have in the garden for children - children (and Big kids) get quite a buzz out of touching, smelling and even tasting these herbs.

To make the herb tea pick fresh leaves I pick a small palm full. Fill the jug with fresh water (spring water) and bring to just before boiling point. Pour some of the hot water into teapot to warm it and swish is around, tip water out. Place leaves in teapot and pour hot water over, Leave to brew for at least three minutes. Pour tea using a tea strainer, pop a slice of lemon in your cup if you wish and enjoy.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. nothing like making a brew fresh from the garden

      Delete
  2. I had both these herbs in my old gardens but haven't had them here - I used to particularly love the Pineapple Sage but never made tea with it. Maybe it's time I got some new plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've counted 65 herbs in my garden .... these two are some of my favs

      Delete
  3. That tea looks so delicious! Great photo shop of the pot.

    Our new fur person is doing well. He's going to be a big smooch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I was pleased how the photo turned out, It sure is a great camera - I only point n shoot. Glad the fella is settling in

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love tea! This one looks so good! Your header is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'd been looking for a glass tea pot for yonks - found it at Farmers.

      Delete

I