Saturday, 11 October 2014

Sauerkraut

 Ingredients
1 large cabbage (preferably organic) shredded - remove the core and toss to the sheep or chooks
1 onion chopped finely
Small bunch of  fennel chopped finely
Handful of caraway seeds
1 - 2 Tablespoons salt. NB don't use table ionized salt (which I personally never would recommend you consume) use sea salt. I use Himalayan pink salt.



Place salt and caraway seeds in mortal and pestle and grind


Add to mason jar the cabbage, onion, and fennel in layers. On each layer sprinkle some of the salt and caraway seeds.

 With clean ring less hands get your hands into the mixture and mix, scrunch, and pound.

 As the jar gets fuller a wooden spoon is easier to pound up the mixture.


The salt and the pounding helps the cabbage release it's own juice which in turns becomes the brining solution that is going to start the fermentation process.

  Once all the ingredients are in the mason jar and the cabbage liquid is at the top, shape a cabbage leaf to cover the mixture

 Don't fully shut the lid as you want the beneficial bacteria that is floating around your home to do it's job. With the beneficial bacteria on the cabbage lacto fermentation will begin to take place.

 Throw a clean tea towel over the jar to keep out bugs and let the fermentation begin. Each day with a clean hand or wooden spoon just check that the cabbage is still under the brine by giving it a little push down. Replace cabbage leaf and tea towel. At day three have a taste - it's really personal preference of when you wish to say it is ready. It will keep in the fridge for 6 - 12 months IF it lasts that long in your home.

If you wish to do some more reading on fermented food I highly recommend popping over to  Sandor Katz website and suggest you get a few of his books out of the library. I was gutted that I missed out on getting tickets when Sandor came to NZ I'd of loved seeing him. Here's a You Tube to enjoy.



Do you make your own sauerkraut? What is your recipe/method?

Farm Stay Guest.
Pancho showing his scratching pole dance movements.

8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this food? Will it end up like a type of coleslaw?
    Pancho gets more handsome each day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I have never tried - sounds like maybe I should give it a go!! Pancho is one gorgeous pussycat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sauerkraut...how do i love you? let me count the ways. i actually add a touch of sugar, hardly any at all. just a bit. it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice clear instructions Leanne. A friend gave me some a while ago and it was delicious. It was also pretty because she used half red and half green cabbage so it came out pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't eaten that since I stayed with some friends, their Dad came from Latvia, from memory maybe it was red?? This is at least 59 years ago!!! Wow, how about that. And Pancho, truly gorgeous. Cheers,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something I have never tried - must rectify that some time. Why should one not use iodised salt????

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sauerkrat! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Cute shot of Pancho..Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up on sauerkrat! I love it with pork chops and mashed potatoes. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete

I