Sunday, 5 October 2014

Bread and Butter

 Sourdough served with whipped lemon and parsley butter

Finally we are having great success with our sourdough - recipe is from The Nourished Kitchen


 The butter is inspired from our meal at The Monaco Kitchen in Nelson. Beautiful fresh bread was served with this amazing butter - us girls were detectives and guessed it had been whipped, with parsley and the rind of a lemon. I added some salt n pepper to my butter.

We had an excellent meal at The Monaco Kitchen. My friends started with a glass of wine and small bites of  Pork Belly Skewers – Hoisin and orange glaze. I passed due to the dish having shrimp paste.

Being a person who carries an epi pen due to food allergies (peanuts and shellfish are serious, red wine and balsamic vinegar give me the most itchy welts). Hence I choose not to eat out usually.  I was really put at ease by talking to the chef and waitress of dishes I could eat.

The menu offers shared plates where you choose a main and then sides and all share which was a really fun way of dinning out. We chose goat cheese souffle which had a yummy rich creamy mushroom sauce. It was the best souffle I've ever had - so light mmm my mouth is watering thinking of it.
Sides we chose broccoli with bacon bits, a cos salad and beetroot with caramelized onions.
An excellent meal - cooked beautifully and the waitress was lovely.
I highly recommend if you are in Nelson to stop at The Monaco Kitchen.


They hold weddings and have little cottages for the guests to stay in. They offer packages - a romantic night away for two. When our old pickup truck is on the road and we go for our trip around New Zealand which means I'm gonna have to suck it up to get back on that ferry boat, we most absolutely will be staying at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco  for a night.

8 comments:

  1. Leanne the place looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is well worth stopping at if you ever go to Nelson

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh you would love the little look a like village.

      Delete
  3. peanuts don't bother me but red wine and shrimp! i look like someone has whipped me. i get long red welts all over. we just might be kindred spirits! it would take a lot to get me on that ferry! we had hail today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. snap! I'm not planning on travelling again for a very long time. We had hail yesterday VERY windy been in garden with a woolly hat on.

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful Leanne - great recommendation :-) I did a quick check to see if the sourdough was gf - no such luck but pleased you have mastered it! I have the friendship bread book nearly ready to post onto you, just a bit slack in the seed department!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we used spelt flour with some rye but yes not gf. No hurry re book I've weeks of study to catch up on eeeeek

      Delete

I