Thursday, 18 September 2014

Tups reputation is in tact.


There is absolutely no doubt about it - Tup our last years ram sure produces.


Why HELLO there!!!!


Yesterday lots of lambs were born - Pink nose one of the tame ewe's had a little girl. Pink nose has hurt her foot so we are watching them  both closely. Any rabbit holes we find Brent does cover over as they are very dangerous to livestock. May sound weird but we don't get many rabbits. My reiki master shared how someone she knows keeps rabbits away with intention and I've sent that our (and I'm sure she did too) so we get very few. BUT the neighbours paddocks are hopping mad with rabbits and that has been where our sheep have been grazing,


Our other tame ewe had twins. I've only just found out Abbey had named her Sweet Pea - oh naming sheep is not the best idea ever!
The lamb standing had only just been born and the other one tuckered out


Twins


But no she had triplets. The builder had just asked me if we have trouble with lambing and I said no.. BUT call is 6th sense or something I went down and checked on the ewe again and "felt" something wasn't right. Watched her do some heavy labouring and knew another lamb must still be a coming. I was not pleased with the time frame as it was 7amish when she had had her twins and now it was 9.30am. A long time for a ewe to be labouring so hard. She was stressed and her twins were baaaaaaing. Time to call the vet. But my favourite vet was not in and I'd have to call another vet to travel down from Otaki. mmmmm I went down and checked on her again and oh what a sight she had had her lamb and the placenta was out. Good mumma.


Sweet Pea wouldn't feed any of her lambs


She kept backing away from them.


The builder had been watching the lambs and said one had not moved - but it was just sleeping


The builder jumped down from his scaffolding and ran into the paddock as one of the new born lambs had fallen into the water trough It did manage to get out before the builder got to it. What  DAY  not typical at all.



Pink nose feeding her baby

It's the hardest thing knowing when to poke ones nose in or not. It's like breeding cats - one wants to help but if you just sit back and calmly wait nature does its bit. I only ever lost one kitten in birthing and that was one of Caro's first litters when I should of helped pull it out. I always get a "feeling" don't know how else to explain it but other empaths will get it.
We gave rescue remedy to Sweet Pea (see now I'm calling her by name NOT a good thing) on her sheep nuts and left her for a few more hours.  But still went and brought some milk in case we have to bottle feed


I chose to top up the lambs with colostrum. They were hungry feisty little fellas.Good sign they are healthy.  Watched the mums closely and they wanted their babies. The lambs are strong. The mums let them cuddle up next to the mums. So I made the choice to leave them with the mums. I still woke up in the night and wondered if I made the right choice.

I can hear a baby lamb crying so fingers crossed they all made it through the night. I'm off for a shower and then down to paddock to have a look.

20 comments:

  1. 8.18 a.m. now Leanne, hope all are well, not too cold here but quite a lot of rain, love those white curly fleeces, they seem to get cleaned up so quickly. Triplets, one of my friends ewes had triplets, the mum died, and she bottle fed them to grow up and be a good size. Quite a trick, one bottle in each hand, one between your knees, and the first one finished wants the slower one's bottle too. Happiness in your paddocks. Cheers,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pouring here thos am and I can hear one lamb in paddock crying. Hope it is ok. Oh I hear the mum calling it.

      Delete
  2. What a day!!! Hope all the lambs survived the night. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes a rather busy day. Happy to report all were alive in morning

      Delete
  3. what a day, eh? triplets are pretty exciting! now you have left us hanging...are the lambs all okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh so sorry. My computer time is really limited I only get on blog in morning. They were all alive. Which is a good feeling as ones tummy drops going out looking.

      Delete
  4. Glad the ewe was able to get the last of the triplets out on her own. The lambs are so cute. I hope all the ewe's with lambs continue to feed them & take care of their babes. Thank goodness that one lamb managed to get out of the the water. I hope the lamb with the hurt foot is able to fully recover. You do have to have very good senses & intuition to know when to intervene with Mother Nature because you risk doing more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes poking in ones nose does often do more harm than good. It is a fine line

      Delete
  5. How amazing! Thanks for the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had got some of the birthing for you all, But my battery had gone flat. Got some good videos but I can;t work out how to use this new lap top yet. As it is I keep typing comma's instead of full stops. Time to admit I need glasses.

      Delete
  6. Good old Tup, what a guy huh? Lots of very cute photos Leanne. Do you think Sweet Pea is being a bit of a Diva because she has a name? Hope they all made it through the night ok and that you've got a sunny day today so they can soak up some energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When one raises animals for the pot having names just makes it soo much harder.

      Delete
  7. I hope everyone is still all ok, Leanne! I'm not thinking about what these babies will become...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL When we brought a lamb inside last night to be bottle raised. Abbey said "It seems just so wrong some how bringing her in when her cousin is in the oven"

      Delete
  8. Gosh what a caring builder! Lovely family you have growing, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The builder is a really nice guy - progress will be slow now with all the bad weather

      Delete
  9. Oh, how can you stand it? I do have to agree with Ellen though, and knowing when to intervene and when to let things run their course is a skill. Hope things turned out well. Those little lambs are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love animals - but also practical and very into where our food comes from. I'm proud to feed my family with the best food I can. The sheep get a great life here all except one day. I hate thinking of how meat in supermarkets get there.

      Delete
  10. Wow, what a day! Triplets...I bet that doesn't happen very often. I hope that they all come through with flying colours. (Love that name, by the way.) xXx

    ReplyDelete

I