Tuesday, 23 September 2014

My one weakness


Today is the Spring Equinox.

 Spring is officially HERE in the Southern Hemisphere (and Autumn in the Northern hemisphere). Not that it feels like spring - it is freezing both fires are going and we are all a tad sleepy after the 5.5. earthquake that woke us around  2,45am,

Now that spring has arrived it means pigging out on asparagus - oooh la la. I could eat it every day, all day but I save it for my lunches.

I just wash and snap off wooden ends. Pop in a pot of boiling water and boil till not too tender.

Some people like to drink the asparagus water which would be very good for you but I prefer to pour it on my vege garden - my garlic patch got this lot of asparagus water. It is an absolute crime to pour the asparagus water down the drain.
Serve with butter salt n pepper.
Fry an egg and a bit of bacon and you have a quick tasty lunch all under 10 minutes.
Cost under $4.00 per serve.



To think this time next year I will be able to start harvesting my very own asparagus out of my own garden. It is taking every inch of restraint to not pick any but let this years asparagus give energy to the roots. Next year they are all mine to harvest.

Asparagus is one of the most nutritional rich vegetables ever. It is packed with folate acid making it one of the best foods if you are wanting to get pregnant or pregnant,

Rich in vitamin A, vitamin K. vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B-complex, iron, fiber, calcium, potassium and antioxidants

How do you like to eat your asparagus?




7 comments:

  1. Good morning
    What a positive cheery post. I saw asparagus in the supermarket on Saturday but the price stopped me $6 a bunch! Perhaps this weekend it will be cheaper. I know you'll probably be shocked but I cook mine in the micro wave with just a tiny splash of water. I serve it with butter and a squeeze of lemon juice. Yum oh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do love asparagus! mine should be ready to pick this yer, i hope! i usually pan fry it over hot heat until it browns but is still a bit crunchy. i like it with a bit of gouda and a fried egg. i also like it with a smokey pesto sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asparagus is great in stir fries too. I don't like the after effects much but otherwise lovely.
    We have sun today but it's still very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE asparagus cut a bit small (about 1 inch pieces) and then pan fried for just a few minutes.....then pour eggs over it and scramble it all up together. Mmmmmm, scrambled eggs w/asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must keep an eye out for it. I just love asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like asparagus too, wrapped in bread is nice. No getting pregnant for me thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy Asparagus prepared just like yours'. And didn't realise it was soooo good for us! You are very patient waiting for your own crop- but it will be well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete

I