Thursday, 7 August 2014

Yarn Along



The two secret projects have been finished so I can share them now. Abbey knitted her brother some socks for his birthday which he adores.
Don't yea just love her sock blocker of dragonfly's she got from the USA.

Books...

I'm nearly finished The Signature of All things. I'm not loving it especially the closet nonsense. However Elizabeth has a way with words that can be rather thought provoking - but as a story the book is a tad odd for me - But it is one I want to finish to see what happens.

“Take me some place where we can be silent together.” 

“You see, I have never felt the need to invent a world beyond this world, for this world has always seemed large and beautiful enough for me. I have wondered why it is not large and beautiful enough for others-- why they must dream up new and marvelous spheres, or long to live elsewhere, beyond this dominion... but that is not my business. We are all different, I suppose. All I ever wanted was to know this world. I can say now, as I reach my end, that I know quite a bit more of it than I knew when I arrived. Moreover, my little bit of knowledge has been added to all the other accumulated knowledge of history-- added to the great library, as it were. That is no small feat, sir. Anyone who can say such a thing has lived a fortunate life.” 

“I will tell you why we have these extraordinary minds and souls, Miss Whittaker," he continued, as though he had not heard her. "We have them because there is a supreme intelligence in the universe, which wishes for communion with us. This supreme intelligence longs to be known. It calls out to us. It draws us close to its mystery, and grants us these remarkable minds, in order that we try to reach for it. It wants us to find it. It wants union with us, more than anything.” 


― Elizabeth GilbertThe Signature of All Things

Linking up to Yarn Along.

22 comments:

  1. who knew socks could be gorgeous! cool sock blockers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbey has had such fun with the parcel from the USA. xxxx

      Delete
  2. Lovely sock blockers, what a great idea, and super socks, James will be thrilled, Cheers,Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! James loves Abbey's socks. It was quite hard hiding the knitting from him - we made them text when he was leaving work and so then she put them away.

      Delete
  3. Love the socks- both- very nice pattern, shows off the pretty yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbey said the Lorna's laces yarn was wonderful to knit up.

      Delete
  4. Oh, isn't self-striping yarn fun to knit? The socks shown on this post are beautiful and expertly knit. Yes, the dragonfly blocker is surprisingly cute.
    My married daughter wore a maxi skirt to church when she and her family joined us on Sunday while they were up visiting for the week-end. I noticed as she climbed up into their van that her socks inside her clogs, were brightly colored, and clashed with the skirt. She saw that I saw and said, "Don't worry mom. This maxi will keep the socks unseen." I smiled. She has reached her thirties but since her early girlhood has been wearing brightly colored socks no matter what the fashion happens to be.
    Happy sock wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I do wonder what clogs are in USA. In Nz we refer to clogs like Dutch Clogs. I think your dd sounds like such fun! - and a rebel at heart..as my good friend Coco Chanel says "In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different".

      Delete
  5. Those socks are so beautifully knitted! and the colours are great. Those dragonfly blockers are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbey has lovely even knitting she takes after Brent's family line re knitting. The sock blockers are darlings - I must do a blog post on them - she got the company to design squirrel sock bloggers and they loved her idea and have added the squirrels to their sock blogger design so others can buy them too

      Delete
  6. I just bought that book! I think I'll wait a wile to read though. Love the socks!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilisten on audio so when parts like in the closest just randomly appear its like WHAT and it is not like you can skip over those bits when listening on audio as you can with a paper book SIGH. Will be interested to see how you find the book.

      Delete
  7. Abby is so talented! Love the socks. I've never attempted socks.
    I haven't read the Signature of All Things. Unfortunately, I didn't like Eat Pray Love so I'm reluctant to read any more of Gilbert's books. But your comments make me want to read this book just to see what it's all about !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To knit some socks are on my bucket list. Abbey will teach me aren't I lucky! I just about threw the book Eat, Pray, Love across the room - but that could of been the head space I was in. Like really she had troubles??? I didn't finish the book. But I do appreciate Gilbert's use of the English language she has a real gift with words. Be interested to see what you think of the book.

      Delete
  8. What super groovy socks. Lucky James!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Leeanne keep watching I'm bursting to tell but not allowed to...

      Delete
  10. Well done Abbey - those socks are gorgeous - bet James loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leanne I was wondering if the pattern is easy as I would love to attempt to knit some socks but have to afraid to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate BIG secret but keep reading the blog - that is all I am allowed to say ps I am terrible at keeping good secrets.

      Delete

I