Monday, 14 July 2014

Wolf Moon 2014



The moon after Winter Solstice is a time of deepest, darkest winter and is often called the Wolf Moon as the wolves would howl with hunger. Ancestors would of been living off the stores they had preserved and harvested. The metaphor is well known - keeping the wolf from the door. With the wolf  representing starvation, hunger, and the door symbolising away from oneself. 

"Well, it may only pay minimum wage, but it will at least keep the wolf from the door"

Being in tune with the seasons and the phases of the moon helps ground us. Most modern calenders don't have the moon phases on them - gardening and fishing ones often do  

One way to not be desensitised to the seasons is by not only following the phases of the moon but also eating to the season . In winter our bodies are wanting nourishing soups and warming stews but in the supermarket you can buy any fruit or vegetable at any time of the year including tomatoes, cucumbers, and strawberries in the middle of winter.  Our family eats to the season I never buy tomatoes or strawberries in winter but instead we wait and look forward to having them again in the summer which are usually from my garden - they taste like how they should taste. Once you have grown your own heritage tomato you just won't go back to eating the tasteless ones in the supermarkets.

Our winter is being very mild - oh how I am loving it - I even snapped these photos in my nighty in the middle of the night (insomnia attacks around full moon for me) I couldn't believe how warm it was outside. And maybe you too sat up with a cuppa and knitted a few rows then went back to sleep.

I hope you got a chance to go outside and just be under the full moon. Do let me know if you snapped any photos of her.



14 comments:

  1. No I didnt go outside & snap any photos but yes .... I too was up with insomnia. I do so love your moon posts Leanne & have learnt so much from them about the different phases of the moon. And yes, we like to eat in season too & I agree, the fruit you buy in the supermarket in mid winter that is out of season has no taste at all. Hoping you have a great week x0x0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to do a blog post up about insomnia from a nathuropath's perspective with some tips you can try

      Delete
  2. No I didn't go outside. We are having very cold and we conditions here. I did see her for a little while from my bedroom window but the clouds came and hid her again quickly. Yes we too eat with the seasons. I just can't do salads in the winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you guys were having a cold wet winter. - Loks likes your winter has come to us _ I am soo loving this winter.

      Delete
  3. still too cloudy here. we are having storms. i am kicking myself that i didn't can or freeze more strawberries for winter. i have to get better at this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never preserve strawberries we just eat them nearly every day while in season - sometimes we get so sick of eating strawberries but then we forget this and look forward to them again next summer.

      Delete
  4. Hi Leanne I did take a photo of the moon on Sunday morning but it was not very clear so I took one of it last night, only a little bit clearer as the clouds have been moving fast across his/her face. I'm not too sure whether the moon is male or female they do say the man in the moon but I like to think of the moon as a she. What do you think it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terribly eclectic - but for me personally I relate to the moon as female because the moon has phases just as us females are cyclical . In Norse mythology, the moon is a man Mani which I think is where the term man in the moon comes from. So thrilled to see you were out visiting with her too.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post thank you Leanne. It's been foggy in Auckland so the moon is shrouded. What you say about eating with the seasons I totally endorse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of cloud too but oh so mild I can't believe in the dead of winter I'm outside just in my nighty like I do in the summer.

      Delete
  6. I completely forgot to look at the moon! Your photos are nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't even realised Full Moon was approaching as we had had so many cloudy nights lately with all this wet weather - so it was a lovely surprise yesterday morning when the bedroom was lit up (we still have no bedroom curtains!) and I realised we had a moon! Yes, I got a pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh sleeping under the moon light - no bedroom curtains perfect

      Delete

I