Monday, 21 July 2014

Postage stamp quilt


Postage stamp quilts are one of my favourite  quilts.
Whenever I'm cutting any fabric and have scraps I cut them into 2.5 inch squares, 2 inch squares or 1.5 inch strips.


This postage stamp quilt is using the 2.5 inch squares. I fussy cut the squares where ever possible so little faces pop out in the quilt and it can become an I spy quilt too.
The postage stamp quilts are also a reminder of any fabric I've used.in other quilts.It's rather fun going through and saying oh that is from when I made that quilt etc...Even some ugly fabric gets sneaked into postage stamp quilts as you really do not notice any ugly fabric in them as long as you don't use too many


I try and join light squares with a dark square and sew then into a row of 8 whenever I sit down to the machine
Then join the rows together into blocks of 8 by 8 square The photo above shows how I iron the blocks


Someone I know is possibly going in for an operation soon so thought she might like a quilt.
 I pulled out my blocks of 8 by 8
Joined them 3 blocks across and 4 blocks down giving me a fast quilt to make.
The quilt was pinned and now its just quilting by machine and binding to do
Hopefully I can sneak an hour in a day this week to sew it..


I'm even frugal with batting - I save off cuts and patch them together using zigzag
Resulting in a real scrappy quilt.


18 comments:

  1. these are just wonderful. you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I love scrappy quilts - would LOVE to visit Amish quilt makers One day

      Delete
  2. oh yes, those postage stamp scrap quilts are some of my favorites too---sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie lovely to"see" you here. They are addictive.

      Delete
  3. Love all the little faces that pop up in your postage stamp quilt. I recognize several Debbie Mumm fabrics that I have in my stash too. Your talking about "ugly fabrics" reminds me of that quote by Bonnie Hunter "If a fabric is still ugly, then you haven't cut it small enough".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL soo true - I always take any fabric stash people pass my way ans I Will admit not many do I find too ugly. Ones that bleed are BAD

      Delete
  4. I like this idea. It feels very do-able and the faces are fun. What do you use for a non-toxic batting (is that the word for the warm interlining?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use wool and cotton. I don;t like to spray the quilt which would be sooooooooooooo much easier than pinning just because of the toxins.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks I hope who it is for will like it

      Delete
  6. Good for you. I do something very similar with my scarps. 1.5" is as small as I keep, but another friend likes any long skinny strings I don't want. I too join batting pieces to use them up and keep any really long skinny bits for the inside of my felt balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your felt balls and I want to learn to make them one day - on the bucket list

      Delete
  7. Looking fabulous! Scrap quilts are the best! You know there is no such thing as ugly fabric, you just haven't cut it small enough!!!
    Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I agree I only dislike fabrics that BLEED

      Delete
  8. I never waste anything either. Last years I made coaster sets for everyone using my scraps. I love them. Being frugal is so much fun. Looks great and it's full of love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a tight ass - think I always will be - I like to see $$ in the bank and just can't help myself being frugal - the Scotch in me me thinks. Love the quote Live like no one else so you can live like no one else goes something like that... but then I spend $50 on bird seed to feed the sparrows....without flinching

      Delete
  9. beautiful and I love how you are saving each scrap of fabric! You're getting your money's worth!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great Leanne, will make a lovely gift. Hope the days are wet enough and cool enough to give you plenty of inside time quilting!!

    ReplyDelete

I