Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Kiss Me at the Kissing Gate


A kissing gate is a gate that is hinged on one side and swings between two shutting posts which allows one person at a time to pass through and keeps livestock in. 



Can I borrow a kiss? I promise I'll give it back



The gates have a fun, romantic notion that the first person to pass through would have to close the gate on the next person to which they would turn around and demand a kiss. What fun!


The gates have been named from the way the gate "kisses" each side of the posts




The real lover is the man who 
can thrill you by kissing your forehead.
Marilyn Monroe.




You should be kissed and often,
and by someone who knows how.
- Gone with the Wind.



A stock grate ensures livestock don't get out


Monday was one of the coldest days this winter - It's just wonderful wrapping up warm and getting outside
with such beautiful bright sunny, crisp day. I could learn to love winter if all of our winters are like this.


We have a stunning place to walk



I love New Zealand!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos - a beautiful day!! Stella looks right at home at the Kissing Gate, all done up in her winter outfit! I'll have to educate my hubby about kissing gates!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm asked for a Kissing gate to be built. - it is now added to the Dear Brent list..

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful winter day to be out & about. I never heard of a "Kissing gate" before. What a great excuse for a little kissing. Stella looks like she is saying "All dressed up in my winter best and not a dang poodle-boy in sight". Maybe Stella thought you were going to bring a whole herd of handsome manly poodles through that kissing gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Stella meets lots of dogs on our walks - I did take a photo of a boy poodle the other day which cracked me up. You have reminded me to blog about it so I will tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Great place, if I stand there, will I get kisses? Stella looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL not many people seem to ever be at this part of our walk a well kept secret me thinks!

      Delete
  4. Love my Stella! She is so adorable with her warm coat! I'll send you all a very warm breeze. Close to 30 degrees centigrade! Glad you are enjoying such beautiful winter weather! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lovely to "see" you here - I often think of you when I look at my lemon verbena - which is thriving in this winter of ours (FREEZING COLD today)

      Delete
  5. That's interesting. Here in the UK, kissing gates are different. The gate opens into a kind of semi circle bit of fence, so only one person can go through at a time. If you caught the person you had an eye on, in the gateway, you could demand a kiss!
    http://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/product/sc_299900bm/kissing-gate-kit-4-x-posts-8-x-rails-jakcured.aspx?tpc=BD&fmc=BK&fnc=AX&timber=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our kissing gate is accessible with a wheelchair as it is a lot bigger. I'm not sure tho - but awfully fun!

      Delete
    2. PS your link is what I pinned this am to save for Brent to build me - cracks me up

      Delete
  6. i want a kissing gate! what is your typical winter like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COLD with an awful wind chill factor dull grey days no sun - so I'm loving this winter. Today is FREEZING no walk today.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous pictures in the winter light Leanne, I just saved the second last one for my desktop, I hope that's ok with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a lovely spot. I adore the gate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how very interesting to learn about the kissing gate. I also think your postage stamp quilt is a pretty labour of love.

    ReplyDelete

I