Monday, 7 July 2014

Garden Share


One of my favourite herbs - Borage wow I can not believe I have borage growing in winter this has to be the sunniest mildest winter ever and I am LOVING it.

Planting.... & To Do...
 

Every morning I am re planting my garlic that the PESKY pukekos have dug up. I don't tend to swear but my language is pretty ripe when it comes to pukeko's in my garden ###@@@@&&&%%%%


I decided not to plant a winter garden just because I had soo much on my plate. But I really really really miss gardening and this week I am breaking my promise and planting some kale - man I've missed harvesting kale from the garden.  Lots of weeds have taken over my gardens. But I like weeding I find it especially meditative and something I have soo missed. I didn't realise quite how much I would miss not playing in the dirt.


Brent loves his natives and he has been growing many which are now ready to be planted.


Brent has been cutting back the neighbours trees (with their permission) which have been smothering our cherry trees. So come spring it is going to look extremely pretty with the cherry blossoms out - I can hardly wait! He is going to plant natives next to the fence line - in a few years time we will have natives right around our boundary fence. And lots of native birds too!

Harvesting....


Sage leaves picked in winter make a yummy sage tea.


 To make gather about 9 leaves and crumble them a bit in your hand so they release their volatile oils.


Bring water to a NEAR boil and pour over the leaves and let it steep for about 5 - 10 minutes


Enjoy your sage tea which is extremely refreshing - You can leave longer to steep but it can come out overly strong - some people may like it like this with a little honey. Just play with your tea to see how you like it.


 The Galangal rhizomes are ready to harvest (told yea I had weeds)


Galangal I use where ever I'd use ginger in cooking. It's really hard to grow ginger in New Zealand so I'm happy that galangal likes to grow in my garden

Linking up to 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Leanne, I read somewhere that if you feel a cold or a bit of a virus coming on ... then make up a sage, parsley & ginger root tea & drink it. I tried this a couple of weeks ago - it tasted very pleasant surprisingly. My headcold disappeared after 2 days of drinking this (just one cup a day). Your natives will be lovely all around your boundary fences, I am very partial to natives myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you are feeling better - I think more people are interested in getting back to nature for healing. Yes our boundary will be alive with native birds in a few years

      Delete
  2. I was sad to read that your garlic are being dug up...I know you enjoy "playing in the dirt", but when it is doing a "re-plant" it doesn't seem it would be quite the same. Next spring will be so pretty around your place with the natives, the native birds and the cherry blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really must go on a learn to use gun course so I can shoot em up!

      Delete
  3. Isn't gardening and fighting weeds and critters half the fun? OK, 1/5 of the fun!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But strangly enough I don;t mind weeding just a tad short of time of late. When we made such big vege/herb gardens I had no ideas I'd be going back to study. Like dust I suppose weeds will wait (as long as I ger to them before they flower)

      Delete
  4. at this time of year i wonder if i should have planted a garden at all. my tomatoes and peppers are doing great but other stuff, not so much. i have been wondering if it is worth the effort. but, i am sure next spring i will be ready to play in the dirt again! i have just recently been able to buy fresh galangal here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am looking forward to some of your recipes using the galangal.. Your summers are soo much hotter than ours I bet your tomatoes are divine.

      Delete
  5. I need to see if I can grow Galangal. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The year I grew sage, I had scads of it. I dried a great deal and used it in cooking but never thought of using it for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sage tea? I'll have to try that and I think honey sounds great in it too. I know that sage is supposed to be really good for you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had sage tea. I'll have to try it this year as I finally have enough sage in the garden. Now if I could just get enough rosemary (which isn't quite hardy here).

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been a warm winter here too. Soil on your hands is very therapeutic I agree and pulling weeds is definitely a task worth taking lightly. Never heard of sage tea before - might have to give it a go if i can ever keep my plants alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...... Besides tasting nice is Sage tea good for what ails you?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

I