Monday, 23 June 2014

Winter Solstice

The seasonal wheel turns once again, the shortest day in the Southern hemisphere (longest day in the Northern hemisphere). The shortest day is also known as mid winter, the longest night, Yule, Yuletide, Alban Arthan or Winter Solstice.

It is the time at which the sun is at its northernmost point in the sky due to the tilt of the earth's axis. At noon the sun reaches its lowest altitude. 





As the sun faces the most northern point here in New Zealand, we will receive less heat, so that becomes the Winter Solstice, the shortest day. 




Winter Solstice is the darkest time, it is not the coldest. From now on the days will get gradually longer but the worst of winter is still yet to come. It takes at least three to six weeks after Winter Solstice for the coldest air temperatures for the year to occur, due to the oceans ability to store and release heat.  

As the days get longer . . . the cold grows stronger.




Now the days will get longer, by minutes at first before speeding up closer to the Spring Equinox - Ostara on September 23, when the sun is over the equator.


Our family celebrates each  turn of the wheel and we all look forward to Winter Solstice - treated very much like Yule. We had plans for a bonfire but with the trees being removed we changed our plans and celebrated on Sunday evening with our traditional roast turkey.


15 comments:

  1. As my son is finding when trying to take photographs of sunsets! it's all over so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if your son follows Mark Gee he takes stunning photos and often says the same thing.

      Delete
  2. your winter solstice looks brighter.lighter and warmer than ours here in England :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our weather has been soo mild it is YUMMY - I'm sitting here this morning with no fire on totally not normal for this time of year.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Kath. Our winter solstice is in deep, dark winter. You still have lovely shrubs in flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is even a cecile brunner rose out - I couldn't believe my eyes. It's very mild for this time of year.

      Delete
  4. I am sure that turkey would have been delicious. As you say, the weather will continue to get colder for a while yet. Roll on spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea I'm a spring summer gal but wow the weather is soo mild at the moment. The turkey was cooked to perfection if I say so myself. I hate an overcooked bird.

      Delete
  5. The house is adorable! We just had the summer solstice, now our days get shorter. It's been hot, in the 90s so I hope it cools down a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend not to put our house on blog for privacy reasons it is a rare villa in our area over 100 years old. We do so love her. Enjoy your summer.

      Delete
  6. I love winter solstice immensely. We are doing the summer one here.....Oh well, my time will come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think our summers are not as intense as over there that's why I love our summers sooo. I love being outside late in evening pottering in the garden.

      Delete
  7. I always think it odd that we have the shortest day but still have the coldest weather to come. Northland too has been very mild and very enjoyable - still have the fire ticking over though, it's lovely and comforting!

    ReplyDelete

I