Friday, 20 June 2014

Planting of the garlic


 Traditionally Winter Solstice is the time to plant garlic - however I normally plant mine in May but as the season has been so mild I held off until June. 
Gardening by the moon it's best to plant 3 days after the full moon but I'm running behind -


 I did get some planted yesterday before I had to go off stitching playing ladies. I do so wish I like wearing gloves as they all commented on my gardening hands BLUSH

“No one is indifferent to garlic. People either love it or hate it,
 and most good cooks seem to belong in the first group.” 
Faye Levy


Keeping the very biggest bulbs from the previous year is always hard at the time  but when you come to plant, it really is a great feeling knowing your largest bulbs you kept for seed will produce large garlic bulbs.



Peeling all the cloves from the bulbs is always a bit of a thrill to see just how big the cloves are.
When planting the bulbs you have the pointy bit at the top.
The bottom of a clove is straight.


Nothing gets wasted around here all the paper from the cloves goes into the worm farm.


Talking worm farm I've been starving two hotels - ie not putting any food in them


By placing a container in each worm hotel the worms move up and out into the hotel with the most food.
leaving behind their worm casting (aka poop).
Garlic enjoys a rich, free draining soil  (one benefit of sandy soil). Preparing the bed with worm castings is rather satisfying - knowing the garlic is going to be growing well on worm poop and of course I collect the worm wee and make into a tea to feed the garlic as it grows.


Planting of the garlic seed which is rather special - it is now my own seed which I've been collecting for many years now. The pointy bit of the clove is the way up and needs to be well covered when planted (unlike shallots which I'll plant today they like to have a bit of their top poking out)



Four long rows of garlic I had to stop planting and get lunch - cleaned up to go out. The weather is glorious and is meant to be the same today - so I'll get the rest of the garlic planted today
The weather man says it is meant to be nice all weekend Whoop whoop I brought sausages for the Winter Solstice bonfire.

“Stop and smell the garlic! That’s all you have to do.” 
 William Shatner

18 comments:

  1. That looks like a good many rows, and perfect timing for planting. Still not really cold here, about 7C outside at 5 a.m.!!! Cheers,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it WONDERFUL and we will have more sun soon as neighbours are cutting their pines down this weekend WHOOP WHOOP! PHEW no more broken barns.

      Delete
  2. HA! i just came in from cutting my scapes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely to see those giant cloves of garlic going into the soil. I hope they grow really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting since I planted a month late - I usually plant garlic in May but it has been so mild here (not that I am complaining)

      Delete
  4. Your garlic to plant looks really healthy.
    I don't mind garlic but it doesn't seem to like me so I avoid it where I can. It's a shame cause it is supposed to be good for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes garlic is very good for you - I use it daily but we love garlic

      Delete
  5. Oh my Leanne! No wonder you were in a fluster a few weeks back when you were looking for your garlic seeds! They are absolutely gorgeous! Love the pink blush to them! :) Enjoy those sausages around the bonfire! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I was - its been many years of replanting the garlic cloves so now well and truly my seed.

      Delete
  6. What lovely looking garlic. I was surprised you give the paper from the garlic to the worms as I understood worms didn't like any members of the onion family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my worms eat it up - but it isn't like onion skins - as very much paper like.

      Delete
  7. It is a nice time to plant garlic. You are having wonderful seeds of them to get a beautiful plant out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes totally worth keeping the biggest of the garlic's from each season to replant - so then you get bigger garlic.

      Delete
  8. Must get mine into the ground too..thanks for the reminder! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete

I