Friday, 6 June 2014

I've lost my garlic..


I can't seem to remember where I've put my garlic. At every garlic harvest I save the biggest to replant BUT I can't find where I've put them. I sure hope we haven't eaten them.



I've been working on the soil which is very sandy in preparation for planting the garlic.I usually plant my garlic in May but with the mild temperatures this year I've held off and thought I'd plant it around the traditional time of winter solstice (21st June) which will work out perfect timing for gardening by the moon.
June's full moon in on the 13th for us in the Southern hemisphere and called the Oak Moon or also known as the cold or long night moon Planting bulbs and root crops is always best after the full moon - so it gives me a bit more time to keep working on the soil.



I've had a grand idea of planting heartsease as a ground cover around the garlic - but man they are hard to find in the garden shops and mine I must of weeded out...


Second best is edible viola plants - which also have such  happy little faces don't yea think?.



Ta DA I found my garlic - while writing this post I had a little thought to look in my pantry (not where I keep my garlic seed usually) and YES I'd poked the bag of garlic in the top of the pantry shelf probably being too lazy to whip down to barn to put it where it should live. I do wish I was a tidy person at times...


Oh the joy to find my garlic seed which has been collected over many years of garlic growing. Honestly it doesn't get much better than this knowing you have found your own garlic seed All the family have been shown my smile and bag of garlic as I had been asking them all - Have you seen my garlic?

I'm planning to plant a big bed of garlic this year as I thought I could make a bit of cash selling it next year..

11 comments:

  1. hahaha...winter solstice, june 21st! my garlic usually shrinks up after i pick it. i wonder what i am doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mm garlic loves to be fed - I really prepare the bed and then feed it sheep poop tea and worm wee while it grows. I always struggle keeping the biggest bulbs for replanting BUT now as I've opened my bag it is rather satisfying seeing such big fat bulbs. I'm glad I found my garlic

      Delete
  2. Yes Please, the Garlic, put me on the list as a buyer when it is ready. June 21st, how did this year get to the Solstice so fast? Those flower faces are always so enchanting. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can;t believe how fast the year has gone

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you found your garlic seed. Your family's reaction when you told them reminds me of my husband's reaction when I find something I've misplaced! :) The Edible Viola are so pretty...I love them for their happy faces. :) I had wanted to put some pansies in my flower beds this spring, but I guess I waited too long to find them. :(

    I left a note for you over at the blog regarding the questions you asked. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased I found where I poked me garlic

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you've found your garlic.
    Heartsease is (as is all of the viola family) so pretty in the garden. I'm surprised to hear that it's difficult to find in NZ Seeing yours flowers makes me want to plant some this year. I haven't had it for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you found it! I've just been planting violas too, but mine are not ready to flower yet. They have such cheerful little faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I didn't realise they were edible - the flowers that is.

      Delete
  6. I love the smell of garlic! glad you found them :)

    ReplyDelete

I