Monday, 9 June 2014

A new wool shop to visit (and a give a way)


There really isn't any craft shops open on a Sunday and as Abbey "needed" some needles so she can start a new project and we have been housebound we drove to Petone to visit Holland Road Yarn Company.(psst they do free shipping in NZ of order $75 and over)

What a delightful shop - it even has fairy lights and a picket fence in the window


Street art outside on the lamp post.


Inside was a delight - all the needles were kept well organised in these old filing drawers.


Oh my a basket of hexi puffs - I didn't know the craze was over here in New Zealand. WHAT fun!


The shop has a warm welcoming feel where you can pop in knit a row or two, have a cuppa tea and a wee natter. (Pam, Maree, Maria and Annette we will have to go and play!)

(sorry about the blury photos I was using my Iphone and I don't take many photos with it.


The lovely lady who served Abbey gave me a free pattern  by designer Margaret Stove which has three lace scarves using Artisan Fibres lace weight merino wool.

 Margaret is the grandmother of  Tash (the owner of Holland Road Yarns) Margaret pictured above is holding the shawl she designed, spun and knitted for Prince William which was commissioned and given as a gift on prince William's christening.


Margaret's "Filmy Fern" design was knitted by Cynthia Read who also spun the merino wool and this shawl was commissioned by the  New Zealand Prime Minister's office to be given to Prince George. 

 
The pattern Filmy Fern can be found in Margaret's book Wrapped in Lace.- which of course can be purchased at Holland Road Yarn




It's still on my bucket list to spin some wool  that has come off our land.

We will be back to Holland Road Yarn Shop!

Give Away

A copy of Margaret Stove's Lace scarf pattern (which has three scarf patterns to choose from) and one ball of Artisan Fibres Lace which is enough to make one scarf

To enter 


To enter to win simply "like" us on our Cottage Tails facebook page, and become a follower 
comment with what colour yarn you would like to win  
and share the link on face book.

When we hit 250  likes we will draw the winner 
I'm happy to post world wide.

24 comments:

  1. What a wonderful shop and great giveaway - unfortunately my skills (and patience) are not up to making this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very first pattern on the sheet looks quite easy - I MIGHT tackle it when I finish my scarf - we will see. Abbey's new project is a lace pattern and it looks really pretty

      Delete
  2. Super shop, and wonderful giveaway. I liked, and Deep Purple my favourite colour, I can see a scarf flying down to our daughter in the deep south of Otago. The filing cabinet, every knitters and sewers dream to own one like that. On my. "must Visit" list next time we drive down. Cheers,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean add it to your must do's when next down this way

      Delete
  3. What a find! Looks like a great shop to explore. Oh the yarn looks delicious, I would go with the Grape :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a lovely shop you would love it

      Delete
  4. What a great shop! Glad you had a good time. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will be very dangerous for Abbey's pocket.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful shop and Margaret is so talented. So many pretty colours, but like Raewyn, I liked the grape. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved finding out all the background re Margaret she seems a really talented lady and to think her granddaughter is keeping the tradition going awesome aye.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Leanne. I've done the FB thing....scrummy yarn and gorgeous patterns.

    Any joy with Tui visiting your feeder yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm still not too flash on facebook - learning... s l o w l y No tui's yet maybe winter

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the lovely review Leanne! Sorry I wasn't there to meet you myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Hi Tash! You have a wonderful shop and pick the best staff to work in your shop. The lady that served my daughter was really super. We will be back! Plus we will pop into your Wellington shop next time we are in there. Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful shop! I've liked you on FB & my favourite colour is a soft pink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thanks for playing - I'm learning S L O W L Y how to use facebook. - Good luck for the draw

      Delete
  9. You visited my local yarn shop and didn't pop in to see me! sob, sob :) I could've shown you round my sewing room - and would have loved the opportunity to do so - next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June lovely to see you here. It really was spur of the moment thing and knowing I wasn't going to be able to take Abbey to the shops this week we zipped over. What a fun SHOP. The visit tired Abbey out but it was well worth it she tells me. Do you get to go to the knit nights? We hope to go one time for fun.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely treat you had on Sunday when you visited this shop! I like the idea of providing a sitting area where you can relax and knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the sitting area was wonderful - felt like a little community could be formed in the shop

      Delete
  11. Love reading the history...and those filing cabinet drawers are to die for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the history - the homeschooling mum in me just never stops does it.

      Delete
  12. I said on facebook light grey.....but...hmmmmmmm maybe ivory? no, definitely pale grey. might have to make two scarves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CONGRATULATIONS Raewyn your name was picked I've just emailed you

    ReplyDelete

I