Friday, 2 May 2014

The $1,000 Grocery grab

 The three generations with online manager Raymond

Yesterday was the $1,000 grocery grab - oh it was such fun! The staff at Countdown were all soo excited that their store had a winner and they went out of their way to be so helpful and ensure we succeeded. They had a trolley with blue balloons waiting at each end of every isle with a staff member , so mum would never have to push a big heavy trolley. As each trolley got items they whisked it off to the checkout counter where they bagged it all beautifully as we were grabbing.- can you imagine the planning and work the staff had to do for us?


 LOL that is what a $1,000 till receipt looks like. In the 3 minutes we grabbed $720 worth.

Mum pushed the trolley and Abbey stayed with mum to help her follow me.  I ran and just well grabbed.
Oh boy the adrenalin just kicks in and I stuck pretty close to our plan. The Countdown online manager Raymond was awesome and he  followed along with us. I made a mess dropping chocolate boxes and stopped to pick them up - he said just leave it keep going - that felt soo weird making a mess (by accident) and leaving it
Countdown were awesome they took into account mums age and let us gather the balance at a slower pace and boy we needed that slower pace. Poor mums hip gave out running around, Abbey was full of pain killers and me getting over the flu was wheezing away LOL we must of looked soo funny watching.

But once we stopped and still had $300 to spend we couldn't think it it was just soo overwhelming. The staff were wonderful some came up and whispered to us don't forget tea and coffee and that got us going again off down to the tea and coffee isle.

The funniest thing I put in the trolley was a sack of dog biscuits as they were on special and at the end of an isle Mum and dad don't have a dog LOL! Plus I grabbed shampoo for coloured hair which mum laughed at, she thinks her white hair might get some colour now. Abbey laughed that I still picked items that were on sale - frugal shopping is just in my bones.




But we did it and it was soo much fun! Abbey and I cased out Countdown in the morning and the staff
worked out that we must of been the winners. Our plan was to start at the meat and we got some lovely stuff for mum and dad including Sliver Fern meat and Macro free range chicken which the SPCA gives a blue tick on 

 Mum and dads pantry is nice and full with food they like to eat. 


Countdown presented mum with a lovely bunch of flowers, swiped her Onecard too so she will get another little bonus in the mail. of a Countdown voucher and she just made it in for this quarter which ends on Sunday. How fun and wonderful of Countdown doing that too! (I love getting my Onecard vouchers in the mail and use them to help the stockpile).

 PLUS they gave mum the till receipt and they get 6 cents off their petrol.

 Mum won the grocery grab by swiping her Onecard when she brought some meat - here's the list of Oncecard winners.


 it was awesomely fun!

Thank you Countdown and all the staff at Levin store.

14 comments:

  1. what a blast you all must have had! i would have loved doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really overwhelming and fun all at the same time. WONDERFUL experience.

      Delete
  2. Super fun, and Countdown have really excelled with so much help from the staff, flowers too, Well done, 3 girls!!! Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The staff at Countdown Levin store were amazing - so was the lady who rung mum from head office. They really were pleased for mum and went out of their way to help her.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, sounds like you had a lot of fun and what an experience!! Well done! Did the 3 minutes go by slowly or fast?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun but a real blur I just put my head down and ran. I know I said to one man Beep beep, quickly opened the freezer area and grabbed some ice creams for mum (she loves ice cream) and then said sorry no time to shut and zoom off I went. I totally didn't care about grabbing toilet paper that kills the rain forest as we call it in our home, the closest went in the trolley. In the 3 minutes we did our planned route and time was up. Then we just went blank - that's when a lovely staff member whispered in our ear - don't forget tea and coffee and the manager said just take your time choosing the rest which was soo kind and appreciated - but we couldn't think LOL

      Delete
  4. This looks like so much fun. This is the sort of the event you only hear about on tv or the movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and to think mum's Onecard was picked out along with 9 other winners from around NZ pretty awesome aye.

      Delete
  5. How lovely for all of you! I'm delighted for your Mum and all of you Leanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and hard to make sure I picked up food mum and dad eat - I was soo good at not picking up food I buy for our family (rice, lentils, beans etc that mum and dad don't like) but soo funny I got a sack of dog biscuits - your brain goes on auto pilot - Mack and Stella were pleased.

      Delete
  6. I am just picturing you running & grabbing, dropping stuff & being told leave it, don't worry! That would be strange!
    Looks like some great 'buying' & heaps of fun & laughs......I probably would have wet my pants from all the laughing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I probably would have wet my pants from all the laughing!" LOL Hence why we didn't tell anyone what date we were doing the grocery grab as we didn't want anyone we knew watching LOL. We had so many friends asking what day it was on and they even said they would take time off work to come and watch us LOL LIKE no way that was gonna happen LOL

      Delete
  7. Looks like a great time Leanne, you and Abbey are good girls helping your mum out, and looks like you grabbed a lot of stuff. It should fill the pantry and the freezer for some time.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow! I've always wondered what a store grab would be like! Sounds wonderful and much nicer than I imagined. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

I