Monday, 5 May 2014

Living off the land


Yea our very first ever persimmon. Such a balancing act letting it ripen on the tree and hope like mad no possum (who got my one avocado by the way) or pesky pukeko help themselves to it.

As for eggs it really hurts having to buy eggs since the old girls have gone off the lay. I suppose that is what happens when you have a retirement home for old hens

Farm Stay Guests.
Symba, Shiloh and Amber have got used to my routine and they are all getting on really well..Symba has noticeably put on a lot of weight - but he likes to eat his and Shiloh's dinner then clean up what Amber leaves.

 I moved around the cattery by taking out the big igloo and putting the small one in and that enabled another chair as one chair was just not enough for them. I haven't caught them all snuggled up together on one chair yet - but they hear me coming down to the cattery and quickly jump down - so who knows they might be!

Amber and Symba kissed noses the other day and all three were eating out of the same dish - I sure wish I had my camera with me. They are on their last week of their holiday with us - the last email I got from their family was from Italy - how thrilling aye!

Right back to the books I am on my last assignment for year one. Another HUGE assignment with lots of essays. It's so funny listening to the kids they rabbit what I used to say to them when I was homeschooling them. "just get on with it mum!" Plus I am told "Mum, I support you in your study but when it comes to my food I'll eat what I want." I've loved the nutrient papers and knew we always ate well ie organic, not processed and could never understand why we got sick. I think I'm onto something - a lot of illness is due the bacteria in the gut. I'm sure looking forward to year 2 to learn more.

6 comments:

  1. persimmons are so good! i just realized today that the winter killed off all my roses and wisteria! i can't say i mind the wisteria being dead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to grow wisteria. Your winters seem mean.

      Delete
  2. 'Retirement home for Old Hens' yes I can relate!! Still getting a couple a day though so that's something. I'm carefully watching my persimmons - haven't picked any yet, we don't have a possum problem but 2 sheep and a pig living under the fruit trees means carefully thought out picking plans!! Good luck with our study plans - and listen to your kids with a grain of salt as I'm sure they did you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how many persimmons will be be getting this year?

      Delete
  3. Good luck with all the book work etc! We have been having a steady supply of persimmons, no possums to compete with. How do like to eat them best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat persimmons all day when in season. I eat them just like an apple.YUM!

      Delete

I