Thursday, 15 May 2014

Knitting, poems, toxins and full moon


 I've been making a real conscious effort to stop each day and sit to knit two rows of my Monet scarf while I listen to an audio book. I'm listening to the Prophet by Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931.  I'm rather enjoying it. I did wonder how I would manage listening to poetry on audio  and I'm pleasantly surprised I like being read poetry.

With life changes of finishing home schooling and celebrations of James getting his full drivers license yesterday (passed with 100%) its rather reflecting listening to Gibran's poem on Children.

On Children

      And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, "Speak to us of Children." And he said: 
      Your children are not your children. 
      They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. 
      They come through you but not from you, 
      And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you. 
      You may give them your love but not your thoughts. 
      For they have their own thoughts. 
      You may house their bodies but not their souls, 
      For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams. 
      You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you. 
      For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday. 
      You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth. 
      The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far. 
      Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness; 
      For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.


Snow moon taken at 2am - I often never sleep around full moon time hence why I was outside at 2am this morning taking photos of the full moon - as you do!~

Do let me know if you snap any full moon photos.


PSSST

Ecostore has a fab offer that I've taken advantage of and thought blog readers in New Zealand would love to too. My naturopath paper I'm working on at the moment is all about environment toxins - does your head in when you work out how many toxins we are exposed to daily.

Linking to yarn along

14 comments:

  1. i love the prophet and that is one of my favorite poems! i sleep right through the full moons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to drive blog readers nuts putting snippets of his poems on here. I thought of you at 3am when I was walking outside being with the full moon. It is a wonderful time of day and a very clear morning.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So true too aye. I'm going to probably drive blog readers nuts with his poems.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting post and thanks for sharing that beautiful poem. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About your monet scarf. It's just beautiful. I copied off the directions and am confused. It seems to me that row one would need to have an uneven number of stitches and row two would need an even number. Maybe I am reading the directions incorrectly. I am a beginner after all. After the yarn back in row one you say "knit through back of stitch". Would that be the next stitch or do you somehow knit through the back of the stitch you've just done ? I can't figure out how you would go about doing that! It's just gorgeous but I may never make it------casting on 390 stitches would be a chore for me as I don't have an Abby to do it for me---I am just curious.

    Victoria in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vic No I think Abbey casted on even numbers - you swoosh the stitches all the way back to the start and then the alternate starting at each row a knit to a yarn fwd. BUT I drive Abbey nuts and knit both my first and last stitch then yarn fwd or knit the next stitch one two rows are worked a pattern is easily seen and it becomes easy. It is such a meditative mind numbing knitting - perfect for what I needed. Oh you NEED an Abbey too to do casting on (very boring I think 390 stitches) Aren't I lucky!!
      Knit through back of stitch is just that knit in back - google and see if someone has a you tube on how to do it - I learn soo much from your tube. I'll NEVER do a you tube of me knitting not with my gardeners fingernails and hands.

      Delete
  5. Love the poem......how very true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I remember as a young mum people telling me the years go by fast and they sure do

      Delete
  6. Love that poem and I remember reading it while my. Holden where young. I love your camera. Ould you please tell me what it is again as I can't remember. I know I'm a pain lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.canon.co.nz/en-NZ/Personal/Products/Cameras-and-Accessories/Digital-Cameras/PowerShot-SX50-HS Not a pain at all! I LOVE my camera.

      Delete
  7. Leanne your mention of a full moon and not sleeping intrigues me, I've had trouble sleeping for three nights for no apparent reason. I usually sleep very well but have this occasionally, I must be observant and see if it's lunar related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it is around the full moon - be interesting to see if you do notice a pattern. It's darn annoying but really beautiful to be outside wrapped up warm nice n early. I do so love it.

      Delete

I