Sunday, 11 May 2014

Best of plans changed



The little bee that stung me put a stop to my gardening plans - I'm usually so mindful when I garden but I wasn't and I got stung. There goes me for the day as it can for people who are are allergic to bees.



So I got nothing much done in the garden no leaves picked up


 No new seedlings planted and it's perfect time to plant by the moon  



 I did get to sit and watch the hawks have a feed. 
Duck shooting season has begun in New Zealand which means we legally can shoot em up these pesky pukeko's which eat my vegetable garden. 
The law states 10 pukeko's per day can be bagged from 3rd May 24th August.

I say bring it on! - The war of the pukekos have begun.

I often wonder if folks who are vegetarian or vegan ever actually try and grow their own food? 
As most crops at sometime do require protection from pests - and yes pukekos are huge pests!
. It's not a nice part of growing ones own food  
But we believe in recylcing and the hawks appreciate having a warm tummy.

I will be pleased knowing I can plant my garlic bulbs without the pukeko's pulling up every single bulb and taking one bite out of each bulb. I wouldn't mind sharing some of the food I grow but I do object passionately of how wasteful and crop damaging pukeo's are in my vegetable garden.

I wonder how many other mothers on Mothers day say all I want for Mother's day is the jolly pesky pukeo's shot that eat my vegetable garden.


10 comments:

  1. oh no! a bee sting! i am so allergic too. how did you treat it? mine get so very itchy and swollen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antihistamine for me I too swell up and get itchy but it also knocks me out and I sleep - 2 days out is the norm. Such a shame as I do so love bees.

      Delete
  2. I hope you don't have too bad a reaction. Do you need to have an antihistamine? Yes when you try and grow all your it's heartbreaking to have all your work undone by pests. Sometimes the pests are your own. Just the other day all the chooks got out and straight into the veggie garden. So we need to replant ASAP. Feel better and I hope you get those pesky pukos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antihistamine for me and epi pen if needed thankfully not needed! Oh no your naughty naughty chooks!

      Delete
  3. I discovered your blog last weekend. It is fabulous! Thanks for sharing. Sorry about the bee sting. I thought pukekos were gorgeous and cute until I moved to this house. Our northern neighbour is the start of lifestyle blocks and lots of birds live in the front of their section. The pukekos love popping over the fence for the ripe cherry tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Soozie Susy welcome thanks for saying hi too as it's lovely to meet who reads the blog. am soo pleased you "get" me re pukeko's they are pesky critters!

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you were stung. Do you keep medication on hand? I hope you're doing better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes us who don;t agree with bee stings need the meds. Apis Mel homoeopathic doesn't quite do it for me.

      Delete
  5. I suspect that the universe decided you needed a rest, I do hope you recover quickly Leanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose a whole weekend sleeping oh my not what I had planned.

      Delete

I