Monday, 19 May 2014

A vegan picnic


My mother's day outing was a picnic - oh my how I could go a picnicking every single day 


Being an early riser I find it such fun to get cracking and pack something yummy for the family which just so happened to be a vegan picnic that a naturopath in training would approve of.

I do so laugh when the kids throw back at me

"Every bite you take is meant to nourish your body.
Is that nourishing your body?"

And here I thought they didn't really listen to me sharing all my learning from my study. 



Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favourite things...


Inside the parcels were some wraps.


Not gluten free but you can find some wraps that are.
 red capsicum diced finely,
 red onion sliced finely,
grated carrot,
 mesclun leaves 
and hummus


 Spread the hummus right to the end of the wraps edges and add toppings.
Roll up and seal with a bit of hummus then cut  each one up into three and wrap into fun parcels.


Autumn soup


I really have no recipe for my soup I just chuck it in - onions, celery, carrots, kumera, pumpkin. Some fresh  bay leaf, thyme and parsley. Add vegetable stock and water , salt n pepper and cook. Then whizz till smooth in a blender and pop back on stove top to get nice n hot. Pour hot water into thermos, rinse and pour piping hot soup in..Lovely to have hot soup outdoors in autumn.


for pudding some Fuzz Balls as my husband calls them


1 cup raisins
1 cup dates
1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
Whizz in a food processor until soft - add a little bit of water if needed.
Then add 1 cup sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Just blitz in food processor to crush the sunflower seeds a little bit.
roll into balls and roll in shredded coconut.
Pop in freezer over night.


Seasonal fruit feijoas and persimmons 


and freshly picked apples - I'll share tomorrow our apple adventure.


Abbey found on line a tool to find all the local picnic spots and between her and Brent they organised the spot which needed to be easy to walk to. And oh my what a wonderful spot!


I am a very proud kiwi.


How perfect a river where we could rinse our cups out in.
See I have proof Brent does do the dishes.


A wonderful wonderful day out.
Just what I really needed.





Linking up to  Karen from Pumpkin Sunrise and her  Weekends. 

18 comments:

  1. Your vegan picnic looks so colourful and delicious! What beautiful countryside you have for a day out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful picnic with delicious food. i love hummus wraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when taking photos our autumn is very different from yours - we are all green pretty much all year round.

      Delete
  3. mmmm,mmmm,mmmm I love those wraps! I try to eat a vegan lunch every single day-makes me feel good and happy! I love chickpeas and when they are turned into hummus, then I'm extra happy. Loved seeing your picnic and now I want to go on one. Currently it's chilly out so once the nice weather returns, maybe :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a vegan lunch every single day is a wonderful idea!

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I want to go on a picnic with you! Awesome food and what a view. You guys know how to have a great time. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh kit it was a lovely day - my kinda day out! I am soo lucky

      Delete
  5. The food looks superb but how green is it! It reminds me of Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep New Zealand sure is green beautiful aye

      Delete
  6. What a fab day out! love the picnic food too. I made soup on the weekend, I had a plan you see, if I make soup then this is my invitation for winter to come visit me, the winter loving gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be disappointed with the weather so far - it has been wonderful and mild I'm loving it!

      Delete
  7. What a delicious day - food, company, scenery, everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Otaki Forks is a special little spot not far from us I felt blissed out indeed

      Delete
  8. Looks like it was a lovely day out Leanne, with lots of yummy treats. The weather has been lovely lately, perfect for an autumn picnic. You have made me want to make up a batch of soup!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't the weather been mild - so much so that I might not plant my garlic until June this year. I could eat soup for every meal.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful picnic! And I'll HAVE to try some of those Fuzzballs, they look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. warning the fuzz balls don't last long.

      Delete

I