Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Using pickled lemons

  Making your own preserved lemons is way easy - you only need lemons, salt and clean jars.



 I'm trying to increase my salt intake as we don't eat much processed food my salt intake is low (personally I usually don't like adding it to my food). The learning I've been doing on salt is we need 1 1/2 teaspoons per day. But not just any salt - salt that is the most colourful is full with more minerals and nutrients our bodies need.. When at supermarket faced with what to buy - don't just look for sea salt (as all salt comes from the sea) - look for anything not white. Celtic Sea Salt has a brownish sand colour. Himalayan pink salt (as in picture above) has a rose pink colour and is loaded with over 84 minerals and trace elements including Calcium, Magnesium,.Zinc, Silica, Potassium, Selenium and Iodine.


Cut the lemons through the centre twice but not all the way through and then add 2 generous  teaspoons of salt. Pack into clean sterlized jar.

Top with lemon juice - Juice of two lemons was used for this jar as you will find the salt brings out the juice.

The hardest part is waiting 6 weeks for the lemons to really preserve. But you can fondle the jar by turning it upside down a few times while you wait. Once opened keep in fridge.



Abbey cooked tea last night for me so I could just keep studying - I did get to stop and play with kitties - Amber Shiloh and Symba, they need a photo shoot - will try today!.
Abbey cooked Spiced Chicken on melting onions with preserved lemons. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get a photo. It was sooo yum.

The recipe is on page 167 from the book Crazy Water Pickled Lemons. Highly recommend.

11 comments:

  1. i have never pickled lemons but i have been meaning to get around to it. hot here!!! teddy is laying inside in front of the fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh you need to make some pickled lemons! They are yum. tell teddy we have the fire on here.

      Delete
  2. I have never tried this - pickling, or eating, them. Sounds like something I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a must do! We don't have enough lemons - got 2 new plants. (if buying buy organic (I doubt you will have to) but lemons are one of the 12 dirty dozen and best to buy organic. Love L

      Delete
  3. How very interesting. I have sometimes seen recipes which call for a preserved lemon and I think "Where will I get one of those?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there you go - it is very norm of kiwis to have a lemon tree in their back yard - is it like that over there?

      Delete
  4. I was given some Himalayan salt...must remember to use it more (I keep forgetting) Good way to preserve lemons too :o) I love it when I don't have to stop what I'm doing to cook dinner. One of the bonuses of having teens at home. Have a happy day, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himalayan salt is yummy and soooooooooooooooo good for you. Love L

      Delete
  5. I love Himalayan salt! I have seen this preserving of Lemon's but never had a lemon tree until now. What do you do with them? Is it for the juice? Or for cooking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the lemon you use not the juice. We love Middle Eastern food and they use pickles lemons lots YUM YUM! Reserve the book from library and you can make it too - it was soo yummy Love L

      Delete

I