Thursday, 24 April 2014

My Monet scarf


Change of plans brought about me knitting a  Monet scarf


I made one hexi puff and it was not mind numbing enough for me.. I possibly didn't give it long enough but just knew nope these are not for me. Even tho they are soo cute and squishy


I LOVED the Kolgu wool I'd brought and did not want to waste them so the Monet Scarf was started.


I've the best daughter in the world who casted on 390 stitches - wooooooo I've never ever knitted with that many stitches at once.


She has these cute heart stitch counters/spacers which she put on at  every 100.


 sure saves going back to counting at number one if you forget where you are up to aye.



 Working on circular needles (again a first for me)

can you see the little heart at the beginning of my row - that is the marker for  the right side.

Row one. Knit one, yarn forward (do not pull tight!) slip the next stitch PURL wise, Yarn back (don't pull tight) and knit through back of stitch. Repeat until end of row. At end of row cut your yarn leaving nice long tassel.

FUN PART! - swoop all the way back to the heart marker do not turn your needles around and start at the very beginning again which means you don't have to ever purl - talk about the easiest scarf ever.

Row two. Using same colour yarn or different colour Slip one purl wise, Knit one through back of stitch, yarn forward (don't pull tight) slip stitch purl wise, yarn at back of needle (don't pull tight) and knit through back of stitch - repeat to end of the row and leave a long tail of yarn then snip it off.

Fun part again - swoop all the way back to the heart marker and now do a row one again.



It doesn't take long and you can see a pattern which makes this the easiest mindless knitting ever.
I can stop in the middle of a row and when I pick it up again I can see where I am up to.

Plus it's soo pretty and soo fun to see the Monet colours - I like to think of each little stitch as a flower how if Claude Monet was knitting it, just where he would put a little flower.



mmm Monet - just pure bliss.


The wrong side is pretty too.


I've no idea how wide I'm going to knit it - probably until I run out of wool.

It's the most relaxing, meditative bit of knitting I've ever done. 



Warning! it is addictive - I seem to have a sit and knit a few stitches when ever I walk past.

Plus the colours make it soo joyful.and such a splirt of happiness to sit and contemplate the way the colours are blending.  I so do love colour.

Listening on audio...


Searching for Schindler  is the  story behind Schindler’s List, Thomas Keneally tells the tale of the unlikely encounter that propelled him to write about Oskar Schindler and of the impact of his extraordinary account on people around the world. I've only just begun listening to the book but already I'm hooked.
 


Linking to Yarn along...

12 comments:

  1. Now the nights are darker a lot earlier, and cooler, knitting is perfect any time. Love those shades and the pattern. Cheers, Jean.p.s. Lots better than puffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is going to be one gorgeous scarf. i love knitting on round needles. i've knitted a few afgans on them and have a semi-complete one on some right now. okay, so it's been sitting there for like 2 years. i'll get around to finishing it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the scarf much better than the hexipuffs. It's looking so pretty already. I can't imagine casting on all those stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Monet scarf is beautiful and how lucky are you to have a volunteer cast on person? I've knit with that yarn and love it's springiness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh love it, only I just cannot start another project. I just can't till I get those others finished. Hummmmm but maybe lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I think it would be fun to swoop! I think it is great that your daughter cast on and used a heart marker for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolute lovely Colour blending. Much more exciting than hexi puffs!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's beautiful yarn and an interesting pattern. I'll have to try to figure out exactly how it's done and maybe work up the courage to buy enough yarn at one time to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That does look like fun! I haven't experimented with circular needles before - the effect of that wool and the design is spectaular!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very pretty! I have found that same feeling when knitting my selvages!

    ReplyDelete

I