Sunday, 27 April 2014

Fire Cider


There are lots of recipes on the Internet on how to make Fire Cider  - my favourite will have to be by Rosemary Gladstar,

Here's my recipe. (Everything is from my garden except the onion and ginger.)


 sprig of rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) full of vitamin A and C, stimulates the nervous and circulatory system, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.

 fresh thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) My favourite herb for its pungent and warming properties, Rich in vitamin B's, C and D and iodine.Antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiseptic. Enhances the immune system


The horseradish ready to be harvested - lots of new little shoots happening - very thrilling as I do wish to share my plants so have taken cuttings and potted them up. In the mean time you can get some from Ginny's Herbs . so easy and fun to grow.

 Place in a large jar preferably one with a plastic lid otherwise just put paper in between the lid.

1 onion peeled and chopped
about 50 grams of garlic peeled and crushed and or chopped
about 50 grams of horseradish root peeled and grated
about 25 grams of ginger or about 4 inches peeled and grated
2 chillies chopped seeds and all.
good handful of thyme and rosemary leaves
Zest and juice of one lemon

as the norm my recipes are about - you want about equal amounts of garlic, onion, horseradish and about 1/2 the amount of ginger

The ingredients are hot and spicy so take care chopping especially the horseradish it is pretty potent stuff to work with (I shut my eyes when I grate horseradish) - wash your hands well before you touch your eyes.


Pour in organic naturally fermented (with the mother) apple cider vinegar - pour in enough to cover by about 1/2 inch.

Stir and then leave for about 4 weeks.- give it a shake daily

LABEL!!

After 4- 6 weeks strain and add about 1/4 cup raw local honey add more or less honey to your taste

Fire Cider is a wonderful boost to the immune system - perfect for winter colds and flu, but I love it for stimulating the digestive system.

I love to use  1 tablespoon  of fire cider with olive oil and lemon juice as a salad dressing- wonderful to get the digestive juices working.

For the cold and flu season add a tablespoon to hot water, juice of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon of honey and a dash of whiskey. Or take a tablespoon daily neat especially over the winter season.

Best time to make it is now in autumn so it will be ready for the winter flu season.

10 comments:

  1. this is really interesting and potent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tuck it away for your next fall for your horseradish you have growing. I also make horseradish sauce do you?

      Delete
  2. I had never heard of fire cider Leanne. I just followed your link and watched the short video (I've seen a couple of Rosemary's before) and I'm going to do this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea awesome! Rosemary is so fun to watch aye. Do you have horseradish growing? It's nearly time to plant garlic again - I can't believe how fast the year is going. Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. This sounds really interesting - not for the faint hearted perhaps?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mighty good stuff. I'm on such a thing about digestive juices -(my friends are so awesome to put up with me even when we go out for lunch I got talking about it...) Let me know if you try Fire Cider it's mighty grand! Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Never heard of this before - use cider vinegar a lot. Sounds interesting. Don't have horseradish in this garden - must look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny Herbs has horseradish. Do you have a dash of apple cider vinegar in water first thing in the morning?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Go googling kathy it will open a huge world and is really easy to make.

      Delete

I