Thursday, 6 March 2014

Yarn Along


Another finish by Abbey, Isn't it fab!


The pattern is called rustling leaves by Alana Dakos.



The photo was of the first rustling leaves hat Abbey knitted. She blocked it (she is very new to blocking) but it stretched the hat soo much it was too big. SOB All that hard work had to be unpicked and started from scratch. I haven't taken a photo of the redo hat - but it is the same and she is going to block it differently. she is thrilled with the hat and it looks really gorgeous on!


 To block a hat you place it over a dinner plate. BUT we  wonder what size dinner plate?
Dinner plates have increased in size by 36 percent WOW!

 In the 1960's the dinner plates measured 7 to 9 inches (approx 17 - 22.8 cm) where as now a dinner plate measures 11 or 12 inches (27.9 - 30.48 cm) across. And lots of the dinner plates now have no well to put the food into - but just a big flat plate. So when you think of it portion sizes for meals have increased too.

This article is fascinating reading http://smallplatemovement.org/doc/big_portions.pdf 
(nothing to do with knitting but relevant to dinner plate sizes SMILE)

Photo source from Never Not Knitting

Alana has been putting lots of sneak peeks on her blog Never Not knitting and Raverley of her new knitting Botanical Knits 2 book.


                                Photo source from Never Not Knitting

Which can be now ordered. OOOH DO follow the link http://nevernotknitting.blogspot.co.nz/ and have a peek  And yes Abbey brought the pattern book!

Linking up with Yarn Along

20 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous hat! i tuck my knitting tail between my legs each time i see your knitting. i have knitting shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a sweet hat and the new pattern book makes me want to be a knitter too! I try and claim that Abbey was homeschooled and I taught her everything she knows - but she reminds me SHE taught herself to knit once one of our friends got her started with the basics. SMILE.

      Delete
  2. Super pattern, and lovely knitting, I hadn't thought about dinner plates, but am sure that the bread and butter plates have changed in size, one of my Mum's sets, had 2 sizes for those ones. Keep warm, knitting by the fire is great on a colder day. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had noticed the dinner plates have got bigger - researching was quite an eye opener. Sun out here today.

      Delete
  3. I just had the conversation with the boys at work, as plates got bigger so did the population. It's a conspiracy to get us to eat more lol. But very true. I need to downsize my plates Too bad about the hat. It looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd shout us girls some nice new dinner plates but when we saw them in real life we went blech http://kirkcaldies.co.nz/homeware/dining-and-drinking/dining/plate/white-dragonfly-lunch-plate-ceramic/ shame as they have a dragonfly. the hat is lovely so worth redoing it. A learning curve

      Delete
  4. what a really lovely hat and I learned something new -- never realized that was how to block this type of hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful hat - blocking is very new to us but it sure makes the pattern POP

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. it is stunning hope you clicked out on links and saw her new book it is YUMMY

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, you've inundated me with wonderful links Leanne! I think I might have to have that hat, thank you for the link to the pattern. The small plate article is printing as I type and the Never Not Knitting site needs my further investigation. Thank you dear girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh get knitting AS https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never-Not-Knitting/701329549898168?fref=ts on her facebookpage she has a competition TODAY up to win some amazing wool.

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous hat! Great job Abbey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie bet you are ready for spring! Yea the pattern is a darling isn't it. Love to all Leanne.

      Delete
  8. love love! My hubby bought me a beautiful felted wool hat for my birthday a few years ago, but it is too hot here in Northland to wear it!
    Leanne, I love the plate with the pansy centre! so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOh get your needles out and make yourself a new hat - it is beautiful! Your hubby is a good man to buy you a beautiful hat. The plate is very old one of Brent's great grandmothers I'm rather fond of it too. Love Leanne

      Delete
  9. Your hat is lovely. Such a beautiful design, and you have chosen a great colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling our daughter it is MY colour smile.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful hat!! Lovely stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete