Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Proud as punch!


Ta da my first ever two bottles of kombucha  tea and the start of my Scoby (Symbiotic Colony Of  Bacteria and Yeast) collection that is used to make it.


 Where it all began.... my original Scoby which is now the start of my Scoby collection.. I know most woman folk collect plates etc ... but having your very own scoby collection with the vision to share it is high on my buzz list.


 My baby scoby grew off the mother (which you can see sitting underneath). The mother is supporting the baby scoby


The baby scoby - which my family scoffed at and mentioned it looked like something one should not consume but rather throw out.....

 Tipped out, upside down - totally fascinating how the Symbiotic Colony Of  Bacteria and Yeast has grown don't you think?


We had a little sample of the kombucha - the boys were impressed they thought it tasted pretty good.
I've bottled it with some ginger and will crack it on the Autumn Equinox.

Cottage Tails Farm Stay Guests.



Welcome to Leonardo


and his sister Bella - having just arrived when these photos were taken, both were still a little wary of the new surroundings, but ate a good dinner.


Omar and Coco tucked into the grass - I know it looks messy grass growing up through the cracks of the concrete but the cats sure enjoy a good old munch so I let it grow.


Sterling is me mate, he comes out and talks to me every time I pop down. He came with some stress  meds as can get a bit stressed and then unwell. But nope not here  - totally relaxed.


Maybe the Reiki music has helped - it's a new CD I had on my Iphone and was listening to it while cleaning out the cattery yesterday morning.
 I'm often soo pleased we don't have close neighbours or I'm sure they will think I'm a tad wacky

14 comments:

  1. That does look a bit on the queer side, but if it tastes OK, all is good. No close neighbours here either, a bit closer than yours, ours are within yelling distance... so when I walked out early, VERY early to get the moon pics, no worries if still in jamas. Cheers to all, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it actually tastes really nice and sooooo good for you! I'm often wandering outside in me jamas and gumboots. No full moon pics due to cloud SOB maybe tonight - but we have rain much wanted rain for the garden.

      Delete
  2. my kids both love kombucha. they have a friend that makes it and sells it at farmer's markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if we lived closer I'd give you a scoby from my collection when it grows.

      Delete
  3. Interesting stuff!!! I haven't heard of this before - I'm not sure my family would have been brave enough to try it after watching it grow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of it but never tasted it until naturopath workshop - so very good for you. My boys are good samplers I know they are gonna LOVE what my next project..

      Delete
  4. I tried water kefir, added it to smoothies, so I didn't have to taste it. That stuff you made looks really bad. Will it be alcoholic when you open it? How is it good for you? Beneficial bacteria, like yogurt? Or is there something more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you google there is soo much info on the net. I will share my knowledge/learning down track but any polished writing I'm doing is for my naturopath assignments - the blog is just a quick record of what we have been up to. I do see the focus of the blog changing once I've finished my studies. I do plan to run workshops from home (and the woman cave when built) so handouts will be made for them for sure. As for the taste it is a surprisingly very good drop!

      Delete
  5. I just can't fancy that tea. I've read lots about it but.....

    Bella looks lovely. How old is she. I. Am such a sucker for seal Burmese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda I'll get you drinking KT yet.. just wait smile. Bell was born Jan 2009 gosh that goes fast I'll have to go back through the cat blog and see if I can find kitten photos. I miss having kittens!

      Delete
  6. I'm hear amazing things about it too. A girlfriend of mine is going to give me some to try and grow if I like it. Well done you. Was it scary growing it? I've had my eye on this book. Looks really interesting Mx http://www.amazon.com/Delicious-Probiotic-Drinks-Naturally-Fermented-ebook/dp/B00EBO24F0/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IHJ9SV7UJ0ZP&sr=&qid=&coliid=IJ2D6U6QQMCJ0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter thinks it brewing looks like a dead body part floating in a jar that should be in a mad scientist lab NOT on a kitchen bench. The fermented food movement is taking off lots of fab books out there aye, Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of kombucha either, but it looks fascinating. A bit mad scientist and a bit great aunt Jane. I'm glad you're leaving some grass for the kitties...Alice loves a good 'salad' too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL exactly how my daughter feels she thinks it looks like a dead body part floating in a jar that should be in a mad scientist lab NOT on a kitchen bench. In fact she nearly threw out my little projects I've going on on my kitchen bench into he rubbish yesterday by mistake. GASP. If I remember I'll take a photo of my bench - it looks a tad different. Cats love grass aye, and then a good old ralph. Love Leanne

      Delete

I