Friday, 21 March 2014

Let the harvesting begin.

Hello blogging friends - welcome to Autumn - the season of harvest, the fruits of all the growth of spring and summer.


Yesterday's Harvest.
Living off the land is a lot of hard work but when you see your efforts in a wheelbarrow it feels very rewarding.


Photo bombed by Stella.


Hops and Figs


Yes Abbey finished her gloves in time for the competition to win some scrummy yarn. If you feel inclined and belong to Raverly here's the link - there is a little heart you can click on under her photos to click if you love her work. 


There still are plenty more hops to pick.


I picked the two figs probably a tad too early but no way was I sharing the figs with the local birds.


These aren't our grapes, a friend dropped them into us - ALL of our grapes got stolen by the local birds 


The walnut tree is in its second year - its a real buzz to get your own walnuts, the sticky stuff on the walnut is straight out of the walnut seed husk


Here's what a walnut looks like growing on the tree.


The walnut fruit enclosed in the leathery husk, these pop open and the walnut fall out.
I suppose you would call the walnut a fruit at this stage and then once the actual walnut shell is cracked it becomes a seed?? I'm sure one of my English teachers that read the blog will put me straight on that. Or Ali now she is the queen of walnuts - I get a tad emerald green when she shares her yearly walnut tally.



It was a hard day in the garden, I haven't really worked in it since Molly goat died - I just couldn't she's been my garden buddy for 14 years and boy I miss her. But I got stuck in - still have more hops, the tobacco sweet corn, tomatoes and galangal to harvest. I've taken on weeding James garden too as he's a tad busy.



oh and still more passion fruit and tomatoes - we might get one more feed of beans if lucky too.


Even tho is it today (Friday) the Autumn equinox (Mabon)  it really looks like autumn is over at our place.


Most of the trees have turned colour already and lost their leaves. Psst don't forget here's the link  to show your love of Abbey's work - it might just help her win the competition.


Never ever have we hit first day of autumn and nearly all the Maple leaves have gone ready for winter.
The seasons sure are changing.

Enjoy your first day of Autumn in the southern hemisphere when the night's darkness equals the length of the day. The nights will start to become longer than the days.  Northern Hemisphere folk it's your first day of spring.- I do soo love spring!  Your night will get shorter and days longer.

I am ready for autumn a time for self reflection, the beginning cycle of turning within. Tonight we celebrate Mabon by eating only what we have grown off the land.

PS no cat photos today as I knew something wonderful was happening re the cats.. which I will share tomorrow. It's all rather thrilling and I think their owners will L O V E the surprize.

13 comments:

  1. i would kill for those passion fruits. they are one of my most favorite things. very small ones cost 3.00 in the store. molly must be there in spirit with you though i know it is not nearly the same. what will you make with the hops? wow, your first day of fall and all the maples have dropped their leaves. for our first day of spring it is windy and 35 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are brewing beer this weekend with the hops.

      Delete
  2. Your harvest looks wonderful. When we were in the Far North on our 5 acres I loved harvest time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Susan I was wondering this myself if when I am older and no longer able to garden if I will look back fondly on these years. I know now my homeschooling days are coming to an end I have fond memories.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful harvest, loving those gloves! you sure have Autumn before us, it is still very hot up here, I am starting to think we won't get winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those gloves awesome. I'm amazed how the maple trees leaves have all gone.

      Delete
  4. Ha, that's a joke. You and I blogged about very similar things today. Love your walnut photos - I was too busy collecting them to take their photos.
    Love your knitting Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to one day collect as many walnuts as you!

      Delete
  5. Happy Equinox Leanne. I've just posted about Autumn Equinox too. I'm admiring your produce. Hard work as you say, but so satisfying to bring in the harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessed Equinox to you too. It's hugely satisfying producing a meal 100% you have grown.

      Delete
  6. I voted for Abbey. Can you do it more than once? I'm learning to knit just now and wish I had an Abbey here to help me when I make a mistake and think that surely I can go back and fix it without ripping it out. Most times I can't figure out what I've done wrong so fixing it isn't in the cards. Getting lots of practice ripping out stuff.

    Victoria in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Abbey told me I got it all wrong it's not a vote win (but the one she is knitting NOW is) the win for wool is just pull outta the hat - fingers and toes crossed for her. I'm not a knitter even the hexipuffs are doing my head in - I keep loosing my counter and undoing too. Abbey said if I am finding hexipuffs a challenge I wont like knitting socks.

      Delete
  7. Not a vote win? Well I voted anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

I