Monday, 13 January 2014

Muesli home made



Muesli


4 cups of wholegrain oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 1/2 cups coconut chips
1/3 Cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup hazelnuts chopped (70g packet)
1 teaspoon of dried ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup unsulfured dried apricots chopped

Mix above together and lay out on a large baking tray or two small baking trays so layer is quite thin.

In a pot mix
4 large (heaped) tablespoons of honey and
4 large (heaped) tablespoons of coconut oil
Melt over a low heat and combine well.


Then pour over muesli mixture and coat well.

Bake in a 140 deg C oven for about 35 mins  or until  golden - do keep an eye on it and stir about every 10 mins

When cool  store in an airtight container.

Serve with yoghurt and fresh fruit.plus a sprinkling of Chia seeds.

Notes.
Coconut chips can be found at the organic shop and are incredibly yummy. For 1 1/12 cups it was only about 95c Highly recommend you try and source these as soo yummy - but if you can't just replace with shredded coconut.

Unsulfured fruit is much more preferable over most dried fruit in shops, personally I prefer to dry my own fruit using the dehydrator or go without. If you like more dried fruit in your muesli just add more.

Nuts if you wish the muesli to be nut free omit the hazelnuts - or if you like more  nuts add cashew, macadamia nuts etc.

Feel free to add or omit any ingredients YOUR family members like.

Linking up to Mosaic Monday

18 comments:

  1. i make my own granola...is it sort of the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think granola is what we call muesli

      Delete
  2. Turmeric is the ingredient that surprised me. I must make some as a change from my daily porridge with fruit and yoghurt - yours does look delicious. I must also try the coconut chips as I have a problem eating the shredded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turmeric is soo good for you!!! I sneak it in as many places as possible. Plus it is rather tasty, the orange zest gives it a zing to. This is not a sweet muesli but I'm not fond of the shop purchased ones.

      Delete
    2. I don't like sweet things. When I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2000 I virtually cut out sugar although I do use it in baking but always cut the amount down. This sounds ideal for me.

      The seeds have just arrived. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious, a nice addition to yogurt and oatmeal.. It looks so good I could eat as is. Thanks for sharing, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really nice, the Tumeric was a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! Reminds me of when I used to make our granola., I should make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy, and I've been trying to think of more ways to use turmeric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good!! I have found that I can eat GF oats so looks like I will have to give this a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the recipe Leanne . There is a local grocery that has a wonderful bulk food section that carries all kinds of seeds, dried fruit without sulfites and everything to make this delicious mix. When I go to buy the ingredients I am reminded of going to pick out a bag of penny candies as I look at all the bins of dried fruit and nuts that can be combined. I like to add warm milk for breakfast in the Winter time, add it to yogurt or just as a not too sweet snack. I gave bags of it for Christmas gifts and every year I have people who check in around November to make sure I will be gifting it again. I used to use old fashioned rolled oats, but a few years ago I started using organic red oats and what a difference it made in the taste & crunchiness. Well worth the few pennies difference. Since I make a big batch it keeps well for a couple of months in Wintertime, but I also put it in plastic freezer bags if I need to keep it stored for more than 60 days. I don't find myself freezing it too often since it seldom lasts more than a couple of weeks. Last year I totaled the cost of all the ingredients and figured out that ounce for ounce, it was no more expensive per serving than processed brand name cereal. The nutrition difference could not have been more dissimilar. The granola/Muesli had far more protein, the fat was unsaturated (the good kind) and the muesli had almost none of the sodium of the processed kind. The best part is deciding what combination of goodies to add each time. It keeps great in a tight container for 2-3 months and also stores great in the freezer in a plastic air tight bag for up to 6 months.
    Thank you for sharing. I will be trying your recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that looks amazing. I bought a few ingredients to put in my oatmeal so I actually have some extra things right now. I would love to try this! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice recipe Leanne. I make up a similar mix so I'll add your tweaks and see how it goes, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some of your granola would be great on my steel cut oats in the morning. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy Leanne!!
    Thank you for the recipe!
    I alternate between grains and plain porridge with yoghurt and fresh fruit that's in season.
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I