Monday, 20 January 2014

Moon Over Martinborough


I've been on the reservation list for months waiting for the library copy of Moon Over Martinborough and now I have the library copy I'm having to share it with Brent.

As soon as I read the first part I was hooked and just knew I was going to adore the book and that Brent would  crack up too.

Fancy a couple of blokes not knowing what a cast sheep is 



My dad's in hospital with a broken hip and I'm hoping the local bookshop will stock a copy as I am sure he is going to chuckle away reading it too.
 Laughter is the best medicine to getting well
 (even if it is a tad rude to laugh at a couple of city blokes learning farming).


Moore Wilson's is our local stockist of the olive oil which I'll get Brent to pick us up a bottle this week and I'll let you know what we think.

Jared used to write his blog Moon over Martinbourgh every full moon and his Carrot cake recipe is rather famous from the blog.

Dave’s carrot cake 

Cake

2 cups flour (For gluten free, replace flour with gluten free baking mix. I use Bakels.)
2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 cups cooking oil (I use canola.)
4 eggs
3 cups carrots, finely grated
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Sift dry ingredients together. Add oil, stirring constantly.
Add remaining ingredients and mix.
Place in two round springform pans. Bake at 350 °F / 175 °C for 45 minutes.

Frosting

1 package cream cheese (8 oz / 250 g)
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 pound of icing sugar! (16 0z = 453 g)
Blend.
It's not how I make my carrot cake.. a cook off just might have to happen me thinks SMILE.

13 comments:

  1. i am going to check this blog out right now!!! sorry about your dad i hope he heals soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you will enjoy Jared's writing he is very clever with his words.

      Delete
  2. Well, this city gal doesn't know what a cast sheep is either, LOL. Best wishes for your dad in his recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so I've found out it is just well what we do oftten we have to get a sheep back up on her legs. LOL

      Delete
  3. I have to admit I don't know want it is either, I'll check out the blog and find outl. Sending well wishes to,you and your dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was I don't know what it is either, but now I do hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny! I saw them on Country Calender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh blow I missed that episode will try and find it on you tube or what ever format it gets archived into.

      Delete
  6. I lOVE carrot cake and will have to give this one a try. we use to get the carrot cake from Costco, but for some reason they have quit making it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll make mine in weekend and share my recipe since we are having guests to eat it. I don;t bake cakes for us as we don't eat them.

      Delete
  7. How nice of you to share this. Thanks so much!

    It was actually an episode of TVNZ's 'This Town' that I made an appearance. It's over here: http://tvnz.co.nz/this-town/s1-ep8-video-5710396

    And if you're having trouble finding the book here's some info for you: http://jaredgulian.com/book/

    Hope you all enjoy the carrot cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! We did find your book at Paper Plus and dad even in muddled post op anaesthetic brain could tell us he "knew of you" he has been listening to the book being read on the radio. He is sitting up in hospital reading your book and of course it is a great conversation starter for visitors. But really you city boys are giving us lots to chuckle over at your expense SMILE!

      Delete

I