Friday, 17 January 2014

Lambs ear



 One of my favourite herbs growing is Stachys byzantina - known as lambs ear due to the leaves being  soft and fuzzy like a lambs ear



The leaves are such a tactile delight and even I can't help fondle them as I go past.
Every garden with children should have some lambs ears growing.


 .
 I think all kids should have a lamb in their back yard too...so cute and fuzzy just like their name sake.


I always feel children and big kids like me, need to experience and enjoy the simple pleasures life can provide. The herb lambs ear is one of them.


 It's just flowering now - such a sweet little flower.



It was wort moon last night here in New Zealand, not that we saw her due to cloud. I always feel disappointed if she hides as lets face it there are only 12 or 13 full moons each year.

I love the name wort moon - wort is an old fashioned English word that in about 1605 was replaced by the word  herb. The word wort still survives today and is found in many herb names eg Saint John's wort, ragwort, mugwort, soapwort, motherwort, gypsywort



Tomorrow I'll share some more herbs that I gathered to be pressed for  the herbarium 

18 comments:

  1. I have lamb's ear also! I placed it right alongside the walkway so that I can reach down and touch it. Didn't know that the word wort was replaced by 'herb', that's interesting. Can't wait to see more of what you harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry i didn;t end up doing a herb post - but I put in press this week green lavender (no idea of its name) blackberry, mint as it is in flower, marjoram, catnip, and comfrey,

      Delete
  2. Yes Lamb's ear is a must, so soft, I like the colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Lambs' ear everywhere in my garden too, I love it! This may sound ignorant but does it have 'herbal uses'? I've always just thought it was a 'plant' as opposed to a 'herb'. Am I just being confused?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea another lambs ear lover. The only use I know of is to wrap it around a finger if it has a boo boo. I've always known it as a herb and brought my first plant from a herbalist. When I come to my next herbal unit in naturopath course I will ask the tutor and see what she says. On the internet there seems to be yea and nos that it is a herb.

      Delete
  4. It was a lovely moon. My it rose rapidly and later disappeared quickly as well.
    Lambs ears are not listed as herbs in any of my herb books????
    Like Reawyn I would like to know it's uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lamb's ear can be applied to a cut or small wound to stop bleeding

      Delete
  5. i love lambs ear too. i never knew that about the word wort. learn something everyday! the box left today and they said to watch for it in 11 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'll tell Brent. I sure love the word wort!

      Delete
  6. I always plant some Lamb's ear in my container gardens each spring. I like the way the silvery color contrasts with the brighter greens & so much prettier than Dusty Miller. I never realized Lamb's Ear is an herb. I will have to look it up online. You always help me to keep expanding my knowledge about plants. I look forward to seeing all the little works of art that will come out of your press.
    We had sun all day for the first time in weeks - felt like doin the Happy Dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you have to replant it each year due to your cold weather?

      Delete
  7. I have it growing next to our garden wall pond. The bees love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leanne, thanks for your post on Lamb's Ear. Is it edible?
    Either way I think it would look lovely among a vase of flowering herbs and to attract bees to the garden - so definitely a worthwhile addition to any garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I wouldn't eat it - too fury GRIN. It's perfect for a moon garden too.

      Delete
  9. I had a Huge Lamb's Ear and then all of a sudden...it just died! Had had it for years...loved it!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete

I