Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Hospital visit


uuugh hospital food..... spinach and cottage cheese fritters, tomato sauce (smelt like Watties tomato sauce and mashed potatoes.

I left home yesterday at 5.30am to visit dad in hospital and be in time for bed rounds with doctors. Received correct information of a hemiarthroplasty of the hip  a pretty major op for an old fella in his 80's. A result from a fall on Saturday, he was operated on Sunday. New Zealand has amazing health care in emergency situations (food I'm not so sure of, and I believe a lot isn't made on the premises but shipped into the hospitals. .(I'm not 100% if this has actually happened yet.)

 I organised his correct date of birth on hospital records (they had three dates which caused a big confusion when time to give out medicine), talked to social workers, occupational therapists, assured nurses his behaviour is not normal and learnt that he possibly has postoperative delirium - pretty sobering seeing such a behaviour change. They say 1 in 3 can suffer from this over the age of 80 - hopefully it will go with time. As soon as he is medically stable he will move to a rhab centre closer to their own home town and all social workers and head nurses are communicating to ensure the best care will be arranged.

James did the morning shift of the cattery for me and he looked after his sister  providing her with very gourmet breakfast and lunch - plus I arrived home to tea cooking - pretty awesome aye.

BUT!!!!...



 Angie escaped and was caught on film heading off to the vegetable garden.

tutt tutt (she is one of my favourites so find it hard to growl)

16 comments:

  1. Hope your dad is doing better now. A fractured hip is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the research I've done re hip is not fun - googling can be scary at times. The hospital had call out the xray person and I thought of you as some one who gets called out at nights. Thank you for being on call for us people. XX

      Delete
  2. A speedy recovery to your Dad Leanne. Tony had an overnight hospital stay a few months ago, I could not believe how appalling the food was, I swore that next time I'll take his food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend stayed in a different hospital and the food was awesome during her stay we kept getting updates of whats for dinner on facebook smile..

      Delete
  3. i am so sorry to hear this about your dad but hope he is on the mend. way to go james...you are a really amazing guy and are going to be quite the catch for the right girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I've always told James his future partner will thank me - especially how I'm so fussy how the clothes have to be hung on the line. SMILE.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, we're purring and praying for your Dad to have a speedy recovery. You just never know how an operation will affect one. As for that food...can you sneak something in for him?? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. life can change in an instant. A tad too many changes happening too quickly at our place at the moment for me.

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about your Dad and hope his delerium improves. Glad he got his op quickly - when Doug's daughter smashed her knee about a year ago (coming off her postie motor bike) she had to wait nearly three weeks for a "slot" to have the operation done in spite of being in a lot of pain (in Whangarei Hospital).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dad was lucky to get operated on so quickly but research says there is a window to have it operated on if one is hoping for a good outcome. I'm hoping the muddle mind will improve when we get him moved.

      Delete
  6. Leanne, hope all goes well for recovery, and the post-op symptoms soon go. Food, knowing you all down there, I'm sure that very tasty "meals-on-wheels" will be coming his way, Hip surgery is major, at any age, and the older, the harder, but with lots of TLC and caring thoughts from afar, he will be in good hands. Pity one of the girls escaped, maybe she got spooked with the quake and decided safety was over the fence. Greetings to all, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty and Angie are always trying to get into my garden - they weren't fazed by earthquake but the poodle was very scared.

      Delete
  7. hope your dad gets better soon and how nice that you could straighten up a few details :) Everyone needs an advocate and so glad he has you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vet says I'm very pragmatic - a trait I think comes in handy at times like these. But being a Capricorn tends to lean us towards being practical folks SMILE.

      Delete
  8. I hope you dad's health and condition improves! It is so scary for things to happen to anyone at that age. My own mom is 87 and quite frail now. And that is hospital food? Yuck. I wouldn't feed that to a man or beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maybe the food might just of been on that lunch but I'd pass it smelt yucky.

      Delete

I