Friday, 24 January 2014

Enduring power of attorney

Great news about my dad he has been moved to a hospital rehab centre closer to home, and mum can be in her own bed. Dad's muddle-headedness seems to of gone which is wonderful news - it was a tad scary and very much an eye opener about side effects of a full anaesthetic for over 80's. I've put my hand up and asked for help (not like me) by asking if some of my parent's friends can transport mum to the hospital to see dad. They were more than happy to help and understand I have other responsibilities  here at home.

Hospital staff have taken the time to explain how important an enduring power of attorney is. I was totally unaware that a spouse can not legally make any decisions on behalf of their husband or wife if they become mentally incompetent. Which makes having an enduring power of attorney just as important if not more important than a will. Link to Family Court of New Zealand  and Ministry of Social Justice. Well worth book marking these and reading!


Cottage Tails Farm Stay Guests


A very angelic Minka - "YEA RIGHT - I've trashed the place"!

 Minka had a wonderful party during the day.

 Minka put her toy tiger in her drinking bowl to have a swim.

Poor tiger is rather soggy

 Pi is extremely smoochie, 

Pi refusing to look at the camera.


Bruno enjoyed the day outside too - it's been nice to have the sun back.


Bruno was also very hard to get to look at the camera - the birds flitting about were far more interesting.


Pinot gazing out at the sheep. He probably would of enjoyed going with his family to Australia to watch the tennis ball too.

Pinot

19 comments:

  1. great news about your dad!!! it is freezing here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO way I could live in a place soo cold... Brent reminds me this every time we have an earthquake and I say right I'm ready to move to Scotland,

      Delete
  2. lovely guests, and what fun to make a mess!! Great news about your Dad, how far away is the rehab? I'm sure at times like this, or at any time, friends will be so glad to give any help they can. And help goes in a circle, maybe they cannot be given help in any way, but it can be passed on to another . This is what I found when my Dad was not well, some 3 hours or more away, wonderful friends there helped so much, and as I couldn't reciprocate, helped others at another time. Hope you are safe after the quake. Greetings to all, Jean. p.s. James, congrats in a big way, in case I didn't do so when the results were published!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I firmly believe what goes around, comes around.

      Delete
  3. Glad your dad is better, phew! Love the photo of the toy in the water, too funny!! Frodo doesn't do that but will roll many balls under furniture then bark for them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness Stella doesn't bark at all the toys she pushes under the couch LOL.

      Delete
  4. Good news about your Dad. The cats do look like they have been having fun. Leanne do you use those cat biscuit dispensers? You know the ones where the cats care get their own biscuits out to eat, just wondering what they are like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no I don;t use the cat nut dispensers. We have had over the years some dry cat food that gets fly blown (Royal canine) and that was very quickly - I think from cat saliva being left on cat nuts as they eat out of the bowl. so I always check all the cats dry food bowls daily. I personally prefer to wash their bowls and refill

      Delete
  5. So glad about your Dad - yes Enduring Power of Attorney is a must whatever age you are. Luckily Max and I had them in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am pleased you had them in place. I was totally unaware how little say a spouse can have. I've yet to discuss it with my folks something I'm not looking forward to doing but know it is important. Brent and I will also make ours.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that your dad is doing better. Yes, that is a good point about the power of attorney. We have those legal documents, in addition to wills and medical directives. I got all of those papers out of the safe when Mr. Jim had his cancer surgery. I didn't know if I would need to use them or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad is doing well - he gave us quite a scare. It is morbid thinking of such paper work isn't it but so very important.

      Delete
  7. Pleased to hear about your Dad, Leanne, Gosh, those cats sure have fun don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yea the cats crack me up. They really wouldn't be happy in a little shoe size box that is the recommended size for most boarding catteries.

      Delete
  8. You're in New Zealand! We have the power of attorney for my Mother - but have not heard of the Enduring Power of Attorney. So good that your Father is doing better!! God Bless you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we are in New Zealand, and it is SUMMER smile. I so love summer! I'd not heard of Enduring Power of Attorney either.

      Delete
  9. I smiled at that wee tiger having a swim, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chuckle I did too.. Minka went home yesterday with her soggy tiger. SMILE.

      Delete
  10. Great to hear your Dad is improving. I became familiar with EPOA's when working in aged care, so important to have in place before they are needed.
    Love that tiger, perhaps he jumped in himself to cool off...?

    ReplyDelete

I