Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Breakfast.super food smoothie


1 cup Blueberries fresh or frozen
1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup Ice
3/4 - 1 cup water approx to thin it down
Place all in food blender and whizz adding more or less water depending on how thick you like it.

serves 2 with a little left over for the girls poodle.

Stella loves her smoothies. 

Our family can't stand over ripe banana's so any that are too ripe get frozen and used in smoothies. If you have none frozen chuck in a fresh banana or if you have no banana's leave out and put less water in.


BioFarm Bush Honey organic yoghurt is our favourite yoghurt that we purchase it has acidophiles and native honey a total YUM!



Chia seeds are a superfood with one of richest sources of omega 3 (often very lacking in diets), contains 6 times more calcium than milk does and has 41% of daily fibre needs. It is totally one of the best things you can be sprinkling on or in your food. It does make things thicker so if you prefer not to have the yoghurt in the smoothie increase the chia seeds and reduce the water. 


Our blueberries need netting as the birds get them but varieties we have planted are Blue dawn and Blue  Magic from Incredible edibles. 

10 comments:

  1. I love a blueberry-banana smoothie! I like to make mine with OJ w/calcium or the V8 veggie/fruit juice we have here. I always use frozen blueberries because then I don't have to add too much more ice! I used to eat these for breakfast all the time, but using the blender at 5am before everyone is up just doesn't seem nice, so I don't make them now :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what oj w/calcium or V8 veggie juice is - gosh to shop in the USA would be soo fun. Yes whizzing is best done when all is awake SMILE. Love L

      Delete
    2. We can buy orange juice with calcium and vitamin D in it! The V8 that I like is here: http://www.v8juice.com/faq_v8fusion.aspx and they have a new one called V8 Refreshers. Sometimes, I'm totally overwhelmed shopping in our grocery stores ... too many choices!

      Delete
    3. I'd be soo dangerous quilt and book shopping in the USA it is soo much cheaper than here in NZ.and the range ooh la la droool.

      Delete
  2. I eat a lot of chai seeds, as I am vegan they help to replace the omegas 3. I sprout them and they also make a good "binder" in place of egg in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My naturopath course is teaching me lots about omega 3 and chai seeds are now firmly in the diet - wonderful stuff they are!

      Delete
  3. I also make blueberry and banana smoothies a couple of times a week. I read about the chai seeds and bought them- but I keep forgetting to use them!! Need to leave them on my counter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh keep reading researching about Chai seeds they are a good thing!!!

      Delete
  4. Mmmmmmm, I love smoothies. I add a bit of seaweed to mine as well. LOVE your blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like smoothie but not with milk not a big milk fan so bulking up with water works best for me. I love blueberries too but growing them here with the birds is a total joke. A berry house which is netted is on the want list.

      Delete

I