Monday, 27 January 2014

Aromatherapy


The naturopath course study at the moment is aromatherapy
 - so I'll take a study break and share what I've been up to.
I had to choose 1-3 essential oils to use - so I chose lemon, peppermint and eucalyptus oil. 
All beneficial  to burn while studying as they  keep the mind alert and focused


Today was a very first for me - I was waiting outside the local bottle store at 10am for opening time. For some vodka (as you do Monday mornings at 10am) Blue vodka is the best by the way as it is the highest strength. (excuse my knitted dish clothes they are well used and a tad scruffy, time to knit some new ones me thinks) PST have I said how much I love my new red kettle?

I wanted it to make some window and kitchen cleaner.
2 cups of water
¼ cup vodka
5 drops lemon essential oil
2 drops peppermint essential oil
3 drops eucalyptus essential oil
Shake and use on windows, kitchen sink and bench top.
The vodka is the dispersant and also alcohol kills surface germs effectively and vodka doesn't streak. Lemon essential oil is antiseptic, bactericidal. Peppermint essential oil is also antiseptic. Eucalyptus is antibacterial, antiseptic, and antiviral




Some before and after photos. Very pleased with my new cleaner! Project for the week will be to clean all the windows in house.

Exfoliating Foot Scrub

1 cup of Himalayan pink salt
4 Tablespoons of coconut oil
6 drops of lemon essential oils to help remove dead skin
3 drops of peppermint essential oil to help soften the skin.

 Mix well together and spoon into  a small wide-mouth glass jar. (you can get these darling jars at Briscoes)

To use the exfoliating foot scrub, place a small amount in the palm and scrub over the feet especially the heels. Follow up with a scrub from with some pumice collected from the beach. Rinse off in water.

Tomorrow I'll make a foot balm using essential oils

16 comments:

  1. Hi Leeanne, thanks for sharing the tips - I would love to try making up the window & kitchen cleaner as love using natural products in my home without all the added nasties in. I guess if it all goes wrong you can always take a big swig from the vodka bottle !!!!!?????***** :-)
    I too use handknitted dishcloths & just love them - I think mine are the same pattern as yours. Happy week to you ... Julie x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are very welcome. . Do make sure you buy the very best pure essential oils pref organic that you can there is quite a difference between oils that are for fragrance and ones for therapeutic use In photo are a basket weave and a moss stitch dishcloth when I make more I'll share my pattern as I think the pattern is on old blog?.

      Delete
  2. Ditto to Julie's words, but if you swig first, the windows might look very clean before you even start. Super recipes, love that foot scrub. This course is so right for you, and sharing with us, we are the real winners here. Cheers to all at your place, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean I'm enjoying the course (massage unit pushing me way out of my comfort zone but that can be good for us can't it)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the cleaning and foot scrub recipes. Happy cleaning:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are very welcome - do tell me how you found them if you make them

      Delete
  4. Oh I love the sound of both those!
    Sounds like a fun Monday morning! just reading what Julie, wrote, you could take several swigs of the Vodka & everything would be clean!......or blurry :-0
    Any brand of oil you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. coconut oil...the one I had in cupboard was from count down. haven't written price down in my price book sorry but I have a stack of receipts to enter next time I have nothing to do SMILE.

      Delete
  5. Leanne, I'm new to aromatherapy so you couldn't have written this at a better time for me! I have one of those burners, essential oils and tea lights. Do I just put the essential oil in the bowl on top? How many drops? Do I add anything before lighting the tea light?

    All my vodka has been used to make vanilla extract so maybe I'll be waiting outside the bottle-o tomorrow morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i put boiling hot water in top of the burner in the bowl. Then add the essential oils.A tea light candle is lit underneath. I've really enjoyed this unit it's taught me notes (top, middle and base) of the oils and odour intensity. It's really important to buy only pure essential oils preferably organic as a lot of the oils have contamination. Email me what oils you are wanting to use and I can work out for you what note and odour intensity they are so then you will know how many drops to use.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful, I love the scent of lemon, peppermint and coconut. Thank you for sharing your recipes, especially the foot scrub. Enjoy your week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i bet your place smells wonderful! my windows sure need to be cleaned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the cleaner recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post I love essential oils . I will make this cleaner x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I washed all my windows yesterday, but I copied it all down for the Spring cleaning which is the next time I will be washing the windows. I just used warm distilled water & vinegar, so your recipe will kick it up a notch. I wonder if the town gossips spotted you waiting for the liquor store to open this morning Tee Hee! The foot exfoliating scrub comes just in the nick of time. I was putting looking at my old feet last night & could not believe how neglected they had become. Where have the baby smooth tootsies of my youth gone, now replaced by the 3 C's; Corns, Callouses & Cankles? As soon as I have the balm recipe I will be treating myself to a morning at the foot spa attempting to bring my feet back to life. Strange how we have certain parts of our bodies we neglect & go unnoticed until they become problematic? Another thing I need to organizer - Does it ever end?
    Thanks so much for these much appreciated recipes leanne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the looks of the results, it is very effective. This cleaner will definitely be helpful to every homeowner that's looking for natural ways to clean their windows and kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

    Ricardo @ GemWindowCleaningNJ.com

    ReplyDelete

I