Sunday, 1 December 2013

A cottage garden


 What an absolute surprize in the garden to find Canterbury Bells blooming. I've never grown these before.
Oh they are beautiful and will be a firm favourite in my garden from now on.


They are named from the shape of the corolla but known in the 16th & 17th centuries as Coventry Bell


In the language of flowers Canterbury bells carries the sentiment gratitude and is a symbol of constancy in adversity


I've three shades of purple growing  as well as single and double.I don't remember planting them - but they normally do not flower until their second year if planted by seed and are often pulled out by mistake. Maybe because I am behind in my weeding they have bloomed


The palest purple nearly finished.


SQUEAL aren't they pretty! 
Isn't nature just perfect!
I bet any fairy would love to use the hat.


Cicely Mary Barker - Flower Fairies of the Garden 



They fit right in with  the cottage garden - next to bloom is hollyhocks - not too far away.

13 comments:

  1. is this your cottage? i don't think i ever saw it before. it is soooo cute. those scrolls on the front porch look a lot like mine. have you ever blogged about your cottage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is our cottage - I only ever put glimpses of it up for privacy - but most locals know our house and the barn is a sure give away. We have a 1900 villa. Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Those photos are stunning, we grew the flowers here one year, and so beautiful, guess the plants got weeded out!!!
    I, too, so like those older style plants, not the modern hybrids. Greetings to all, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about an old fashioned cottage garden that is soo appealing aye.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. Love them, the perfect colour for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I have sooo many purple flowers here. Purple and Yellow are my fav colours

      Delete
  4. OMGosh they are beautiful.
    I am a long time lurker of your blog, but first time commenter,
    I would love to have half the garden you do, but unlike my fathers green thumb mine is shades of grey and black!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra - lovely to meet you - I often wonder who reads 'the blog" and my daily waffle. SMILE.I do enjoy pottering around in the garden - In the past it was old fashioned roses were my love - then vegetable garden to feed the family, then herbs and now flowers seem to be creeping into the garden. Plenty of weeds at the moment as some things had to give taking on study.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. If I had gorgeous blooms like that in my garden, I would be squealing too! Love that double dark purple type. And hollyhocks are one of my favorites! I used to grow those at our former cottage and even had one variety that was so dark red that it was almost black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for the hollyhocks to flower. Ones from seeds I've sown this year are growing very slowly and I've been tending to them heaps.Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. Oh they are so gorgeous! What great color. Yay for not weeding...LOL Kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yea I'm pretty chuffed with myself for not weeding - the rewards has been so worth while... BUT I'm gonna have a lot of 7 years of weeding from all the weed seed about LOL
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. I've only really seen these flowers in the Cicely Mary Barker pictures- they are gorgeous in real life!!! Great growing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I